Once I was diagnosed with a Gleason 7 (4+3), I knew there was the possibility of a more agressive cancer. The problem with waiting any longer period of time, is that you don't know when and if the cancer goes outside the prostate. Some people will make it sound like it will take years for that to happen, my own doctors told me that it can happen in months, and even weeks if the cells are real close to the edge. And one has to remember too, that the biopsy is but an estimate, it is only based on the cores sampled and the grade, quality, and quantity of cancer found there. It's always possible that the cancer is more developed, but unless one's prostate is removed by surgery and then analyzed by pathology, there is no accurate way to know the fuller extent of the cancer.
I am not advocating for anyone to race out and react on fear or lack of knowledge, not like that at all. But there are schools of thought among cancer experts, that Gleason 7 are very unpredictable creatures, its that "4" component that can make it turn ugly in a hurry.
I was not rushed into anything by anybody, doctor's included. With the span of 3 biopsies over 18 months, I researched extensively, and pretty well knew my options and odds. Once my Gleason 7 was fully discovered, I was prepared to make my choice, and I did.
Each man here has to come to his own conclusions, and there is always risk in waiting when dealing with any cancer.
David in SC
57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.33rd Biopsy
: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3Open RP:
11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09Path Rpt
: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence: 1 Month ED: Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped 9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - began IMRT SRT - 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 in 35 days, 12/7/9 - Cath #10 in place