We leave tomorrow for Ann Arbor, a 2-hour drive. We have consultations scheduled on Monday (surgeon, radiologist, urological oncologist). We plan to drive back Monday. I will teach on Tuesday and then drive back to Detroit (about
2.5 hours) that night for my meetings with Dr. Menon and his team (a PA, a nurse, a diet expert, etc.) on Wednesday. Depending on weather and if Umich decides I need more tests (scans?) that I can do on Tuesday, we may just stay there and skip that extra round trip.
Anyway, I thank all of you for indulging me here. Hopefully, I've contributed and raised good questions. I've also tried to be honest about
the emotional aspects of all this. It has been a horrible, emotional nightmare. Interestingly enough, work has been great. I actually barely think about
problems at work. That has simply gone great. Nobody at work has a clue (other than the few who had to know such as HR and the Dean, since we are looking at some lengthy absences, starting with these darn consultations). Now, I hope you all will indulge me further. In fact, maybe the following will be useful to others.
After my reading, thinking, forum activity, I have finally come up with questions to ask on Monday and Wednesday. I still have to fine tune them and organize them a bit better.
Additionally, I know some of the questions cannot be answered with any degree of certitude (eg: how aggressive is my cancer) but I hope to get more insight via the question answers.
I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD LOOK THROUGH THESE AND MAKE FINAL SUGGESTIONS. Questions follow and again I thank you for all your help, suggestions, and support as I continue this sucky journey!
1) Color Doppler with Fred Lee in Rochester Hills?
2) Send slides to other good labs like Bostwyck?
3) Backup Plan – what if surgery (radiation) fails?
4) If you were in my shoes, what would you do and why?
5) Would you be the one actually DOING the surgery?
6) How many surgeries have you done?
7) What are the advantages/disadvantages of radiation/surgery? Side effects and percentages?
8) For radiation, what kinds are there and what kinds do you recommend? Combination? Advantages and disadvantages? How much radiation over what time interval? Proton Beam vs. IMRT vs. Brachytherapy. Long term/short term effects.
9) Adjuvent therapies?
10) Adjuvant hormone therapy?
11) Nutrition advice?
12) What is the status and severity of my case? Is my cancer aggressive?
13) What is the probability of a cure? What treatment affords the best chance of a cure?
14) Will the surgery be nerve sparing? On both sides? Will this help the continence issue?
15) What is the probability that this is organ-confined? Prostate-area confined?
16) What are the chances of a full recovery?
17) Gleason 4 + 3 is bad, but isn’t the 5% number good?
18) How do you compare radiation vs. surgery for my situation?
19) Can I send you a question via email?
20) What are the chances of recurrence? Metasteses?
18) How soon can we do the surgery? General time-line from start to release?
Edited to remove extra markers that was causing long blank spaces, James C.
Post Edited By Moderator (James C.) : 12/12/2009 2:55:58 PM (GMT-7)