Mel, proud of you. You have done your homework, on your own and in all your time here. Not surprised about them not doing the other tests, as a general rule, the PC will not be advanced enough to show up in a scan at this point.
With your known Gleason 7 at this point, and smaller known cancer volume, and your PSA number, I think you will do well with surgery. Even with a good doctor like Dr. Menon, there will be no guarantees about results. He will do the best he can, but your body and its cancer is unique to you.
I think of our dear Brother Sonny here, lots of great research, great attitude, great surgeon, great hospital, yet he came out a Stage Three and ended up with reaccurance almost immediately, and as we all know, undergoing RT right now as we speak. Point, even with all that said, you get what you get in the end.
I wish you only the very best as you finish up on your decision and preparation that will take place for that. And just like I told my only daughter as I was walking her down the ailse on her wedding day, if you even have a single hesitation while you should halt or abort your desire for surgery, then do it. Don't worry about the dr or the hospital or the arrangements. Its your life and your body we are talking about here, and your final opinion is the only one that counts.
David in SC
Sorry about your back messing up, that sounds dreadful by itself.
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence: 1 Month ED: Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped 9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - began IMRT SRT - 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 in 35 days, 12/7/9 - Cath #10 in place