Definitely a decision of the magnitude of not doing it under duress, shouldn't feel rushed - either mentally or from outside sources, and should only be made after carefully weighing all available options for that person's individual medical history and stats.
Each guy should know and be willing to abort treatment plan, even at the last minute, if that gut feeling comes up that you know something isn't right. We each only get one shot at our primary treatment. No re-do's, no re-play, no re-wind.
From my 1st to 3rd biopsy, the one that hit pay dirt, was a period of some 15 months, then slightly over 2 months elasped before surgery. I used all of that 17 months to read and learn as much as I could.
Even as I lay on the pre-op bed (before they started to dope me up, lol), my mind was still considering all my thoughts and options on the subject. I was never scared to have the op, had too many before to be worried about it, but had to go through one last mental check list to make sure that this is what I really wanted to do. I am sure many here have been in the same position. In the end, I knew I would be responsible for my decision to go forward, and could blame no one if it went sour.
Definitely need to keep a clear and open mind about treatment. There is no free ride with anything to do with our PC.
David in SC
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence: 1 Month ED: Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA:
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped 9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - 11/27 IMRT SRT 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 35 days, 12/7 - Cath #10 in place