New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 2/7/2010 11:46 AM (GMT -6)   
Just got the Big Casino news 4 Feb 10 @ 63. Brother @56 had the robot 2 Feb 10. No two for one discounts.
From reading threads throughout this great site seems like most logical and preferred course of action is to get the disease out ASAP then deal with the ED (may not even have to talk to them anymore) and other side effects as they arise and continue?
12 cores with 3 positive but I'm so new don't know percentage, locale etc., awaiting further tests before getting all the info. CT and Bone scans this week, PSA from 2.8, 17 Jul 08 to 4.8, 18 Jan 10. How slow a growth is that? Enough to do nothing? Is R2D2 surgery most sane approach for the brain? Haven't talked as much about seeds since early post war days! Seems like most have less interest in seeds?
Brother had 9 cores all positive. PSA went from 3 - 6 in a year and a half. The whole gland loaded when pathed, but they got it all. Put a little spring in his steps.

Elite Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25394
   Posted 2/7/2010 12:12 PM (GMT -6)   
Welcome, and sorry about your news. And your brother too, glad he is at least on the recovery side. I hope he does well.

What you should see from this site, is that we support all primary treatment choices, including Active Suveliance (AS) if the numbers warrant it. We have several men doing very well with "Seeding", so depending on your numbers, it should be looked at as a viable option.

Your PSA "growth" is definitely not on the slow path, but neither is it on "rocket speed". You said you had 3 cores positive out of 12, without knowing anymore info on you, its hard to say what choices you have in front of you, and what would be best for your case.

Perhaps you could post some more info as you get it. The important thing during this time period is to study all options and keep an open mind on the table. And of course, help your brother with his recovery as needed.

Time is on your side right now, so despite your brother's surgery, you shouldn't feel like you have to rush to make a decision, as we only get one shot at our primary treatment choice.

Ask as many quetions as you need, no such thing as a stupid question among us.

The support network among the brothers and sisters here at HW is very real, and very good, so we are glad to have you among us.

David in SC
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence:  1 Month     ED:  Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery  PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA: 1/10 .12
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped  9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - 11/27 IMRT SRT 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 35 days, 12/7 - Cath #10 43 days, 1/10 - Corrective Surgery #4, and Caths #11 and #12 in at the same time

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 990
   Posted 2/7/2010 12:16 PM (GMT -6)   
Welcome to the club that hates to get new members. First of all -- take a deep breath. PC is in general slow and you have lots of time to explore your options.

The CT and bone scans with a PSA of 4.8 will almost always come back negative -- so essentially you get a couple of weeks of worry while waiting for the tests and the results but find out nothing new.

People on this board will tell you that the best thing that you can do for yourself is to learn more about the disease and its treatment. The permanent links at the top of the topics will take you to lots of good information and recommend some good books.

With your stats a 3-5 month delay before making a decision is unlikely to do any harm. In fact, doctors want 6-8 weeks to let the biopsy heal before starting any treatment.

Try to get together your stats and add them as a sig -- it will help others to comment more intelligently. If by post war you mean WWII you must be up there in years so your overall physical health becomes more important in decision making. Older guys are more likely to opt for seeds or radiation because the side effects are delayed -- often until you die of something completely unrelated.

There is a surplus of surgery guys here, and I am one myself, but don't take that as a vote on what you should do. My younger brother went for seeds and 5 years later is cancer free and very happy with his choice.

Again, stay with us, ask whatever you want and remember that your life is much more than the little detail of having PC
Age at diagnosis 66, PSA 5.5
Biopsy 12/08 12 cores, 8 positive
Gleason 3+4=7
CAT scan, Bone scan 1/09 both negative.

Robotic surgery 03/03/09 Catheter Out 03/08/09
Pathology: Lymph nodes & Seminal vesicles negative
Margins positive, Capsular penetration extensive Gleason 4+3=7
6 weeks: 1 pad/day, 1 pad/night -- mostly dry at night.
10 weeks: no pad at night -- slight leakage day/1 pad.
3 mo. PSA 0.0 - now light pads
6 mo. PSA 0.00 -- 1 light pad/day
9 mo. PSA 0.00 -- 1 light pad/day ED remains

John T
Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 4269
   Posted 2/7/2010 1:54 PM (GMT -6)   
Without knowing your gleason grade and clinical staging it would be difficult to make a recommendation on a treatment optiion.
As Dr Strum preaches, the biology of your cancer dictates the most effective treatment.
The 1st step is to know your risk type. You can find this on the Prostate Cancer Research Institute's website. There are also several articles for the newly diagnosed that are very helpful.
Some say that side affects are not important; I disagree. Approximately 50% of the posts on this forum relate to side affects; they are not important until you have to deal with them, then they become very important.
Most treatment for low and intermediate risk PC have the same cure rates, so the only real difference is the side affects. Get 2nd opinions from a prostate oncologist, a surgeon and a radiologist, and not from the same center or from referrals, as these have a built in conflict of interest. The 2nd opinions should have no connection to one another.
The best advice is to take your time and not act quiclky because of fear. We can answer most of your questions regarding various treatment options and their side affects when you have a better handle on your staging.
Some tips on staging:
Forget a bone a Ct scan unless you are in the high risk catogory, these will only cost money and provide little useful information.
A color doppler ultrasound and an MRIS will help in proper staging.
A PAP and PCA3 test are inexpensive and and give a better idea of the biology of your PC.
Get a 2nd opinion on your biopsy slides from Epstien or Boswitch.
Once you decide on a treatment find the absolute best artist to perform it as this will have more bearing than the treatment itself. There is a huge difference between the best, the good, and the average.

64 years old.

PSA rising for 10 years to 40, free psa 10-15. Had 5 urologists, 12 biopsies and MRIS all neg. Doctors DXed BPH and continue to get biopsies yearly. 13th biopsy positive in 10-08, 2 cores of 25, G6 less than 5%. Scheduled for surgery as recommended by Urological Oncologist.

2nd Opinion from Dr Sholtz, a Prostate Oncologist, said DX wrong, pathology shows indolant cancer, but psa history indicates large cancer or metastasis. Futher tests and Color Doppler confirmed large transition zone tumor that 13 biopsies and MRIS missed. G7, 4+3, approx 16mmX18mm.

Combidex MRI in Holland eliminated lymphnode mets. Casodex and Proscar reduced psa to 0.6 and prostate from 60mm to 32mm. Changed diet, no meat and dairy. All staging tests indicate that tumor is local and non agressive. (PAP, PCA3, MRIS, Color Doppler, Combidex, tumor reaction to diet and Casodex, and tumor location in transition zone). Surgery a poor option because tumor is located next to the urethea and positive margin is very likely; permanent incontenance is also high probability with surgery.

Seed implants on 5-19-09, 3 hours door to door, no pain, minor side affects are frequency and urgency; very controlable with Flowmax and lasted 4 weeks. Daily activities resumed day after implants with no restrictions. Gold markers implanted with seeds to guide IMRT.

25 treatments of IMRT 6 weeks after seed implants. No side affects at all.

PSA at end of treatment 0.02 mostly the result of Casodex. When I stop Casodex next week expect PSA to rise. Next PSA in November. Treatments and side affects have greatly exceeded my expectations. Glad to have this 11 year journey finally conclude.


James C.
Veteran Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 4463
   Posted 2/7/2010 2:59 PM (GMT -6)   
Welcome to HW, glad you came, hate you are here.
James C. Age 62
Co-Moderator- Prostate Cancer Forum
4/07 PSA 7.6, referred to Urologist, recheck 6.7
7/07 Biopsy: 3 of 16 PCa, 5% involved, left lobe, GS 3/3=6
9/07 Nerve sparing open RRP 110gms.- Path Report: GS 3+3=6 Stg. pT2c, 110gms, margins clear
32 mts: PSA's: .04 each test since surgery, ED Continues-Bimix .3ml PRN or Trimix .15ml PRN

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:55 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,664 posts in 329,387 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161840 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, 6catlady.
272 Guest(s), 12 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
sparkleplenty, clocknut, halo52208, HeartsinPain, mattamx, GoBucks, cashlessclay, BillyBob@388, Cashed Out, Purgatory, Aurora2013, halbert