3 month post-op appt

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

In This Together Wife
Regular Member


Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 135
   Posted 2/16/2010 12:54 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Everyone!
Bear has his 3 month visit on Mon.  Going to do something fun while we are in "the city" and will have future follow-ups with local uro. out here in the boondocks.
 
We are anticipating joining the Zero club.  Our concern is a possible urinary blocakage due to symptoms he has been having.  Not enough to see the doctor before now but since we will be there, we will bring it up--I mentioned it in a previous post sometime ago.  Praying it will not require a cath or the dreaded d-d-dilation.  Is the scope painless for the most part?  He has leaking only with urgency which is everytime he has to go.  Think I have read here that he may get some relief from meds, will ask about that.  He has taken Folmax before for different issues and it made the urgency worse.
 
Been going natural with "rehabilitation" could be better, could be worse.
 
Thanks in advance for your prayers!
CareBear

(Bear's stats) Age 49
 8-4-09    Family Practioner for back pain  PSA 4.9
8-20-09  Consult with urologist                PSA 4.89
9-2-09    Biopsy          3 cores positive 7% 3+3 (6) gleason
11-13-09 DaVinci
11-23-09 Cath removed  Path report cancer contained neg. margins
Feb 2010 wil be followup PSA


Purgatory
Elite Member


Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25380
   Posted 2/16/2010 2:57 PM (GMT -6)   
Carebear, sure hoping that Bear makes it right into the zero club with no problems.

As far as the other issue goes, sounds almost like a classic case of a blockage or stricture taking place. You may need to see his dr. before Monday if he has symptons of a total blockage. Most uro/surgeon's don't like local ER's handling putting in an emergency catheter if he does block. I have been there and done that, no fun. As far as scopes go, it's never fun. Whether it hurts or nots mostly depends on whats going on up the urethra or bladder neck. If there is no inflamation or infection, a good doctor can make a flexible scope go into place fairly easy. They will usually numb the entrance with lydocal gel real good and let it sit a few minutes to numb.

I am about to be scoped again this Monday, will by at least my 5th, knowing there is dificulty at my bladder neck, I am going to be sedated by a shot about 30 minutes a head of time, so that the doctor can do his thing without creating a traumatic event again. Been there done that more than once.

Dialations are usually referred as "hard" or "soft". A soft one done by a good doctor really isnt too bad. A hard dialation should never be done to a concious patient in my opinion. I had that done last July under extreme emergency conditions. Never would want to repeat that without being put under.

If your husband is not certain or if he thinks his flow is still decreasing and/or with any kind of pain, I would reccomend calling his doctor very soon, before you get into a weekend situation.

Not trying to scare you or him, just wanted to give some first hand experience info on your question.

David in SC
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence:  1 Month     ED:  Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery  PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA: 1/10 .12
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped  9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - 11/27 IMRT SRT 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 35 days, 12/7 - Cath #10 43 days, 1/19 - Corr Surgery #4,  Caths #11 and #12 in at the same time, 2/8-Cath #11 out - 21 days


geezer99
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 990
   Posted 2/16/2010 4:29 PM (GMT -6)   
It very much depends on what you mean by blockage. At three months post-op my urinary stream was about 25% of pre-op and to me that was not good. Now at 9 months I am up to 60% and can live with that if it never improves. In terms of having your inside plumbing radically rearranged, 3 months is still the start of recovery.
Age at diagnosis 66, PSA 5.5
Biopsy 12/08 12 cores, 8 positive
Gleason 3+4=7
CAT scan, Bone scan 1/09 both negative.

Robotic surgery 03/03/09 Catheter Out 03/08/09
Pathology: Lymph nodes & Seminal vesicles negative
Margins positive, Capsular penetration extensive Gleason 4+3=7
6 weeks: 1 pad/day, 1 pad/night -- mostly dry at night.
10 weeks: no pad at night -- slight leakage day/1 pad.
3 mo. PSA 0.0 - now light pads
6 mo. PSA 0.00 -- 1 light pad/day
9 mo. PSA 0.00 -- 1 light pad/day ED remains


In This Together Wife
Regular Member


Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 135
   Posted 2/16/2010 5:10 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks David and Geezer!
I will clarify a little-- After cath was removed at 10 days post-op, stream was strong 'bout knocked him over. Then at two weeks post-op he was feeling something inside tip and had a great deal of pain and stream dropped to spray and not so strong. Called doc and was informed he was probably passing scabs. Since then the pain has eased up but stream is not what it was at removal of cath. Maybe this is normal. Since it has improved some and then stayed steady for the last couple months, we will wait until Mon. unless it gets worse. Will let you know after our visit and PSA results.
David, will look forward to your update.
CareBear
(Bear's stats) Age 49
 8-4-09    Family Practioner for back pain  PSA 4.9
8-20-09  Consult with urologist                PSA 4.89
9-2-09    Biopsy          3 cores positive 7% 3+3 (6) gleason
11-13-09 DaVinci
11-23-09 Cath removed  Path report cancer contained neg. margins
Feb 2010 wil be followup PSA


Purgatory
Elite Member


Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25380
   Posted 2/16/2010 5:45 PM (GMT -6)   
Carebear,

With you updated post, sounds like it would be safe to wait till his appointment, I was just trying to make sure that he might not be in a borderline ER situation. My one ER trip last year infuriated my urologist, because the ER staff would not do as advised by his office when the ER called him, and failed to follow his instructions. They almost did serious damage to me because of that.

David in SC

Yeah, I will update on my situation Monday, my wife has the day off to be with me, so the dr. can do what he needs to do.
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence:  1 Month     ED:  Non issue at any point post surgery
Post Surgery  PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA: 1/10 .12
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped  9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - 11/27 IMRT SRT 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 35 days, 12/7 - Cath #10 43 days, 1/19 - Corr Surgery #4,  Caths #11 and #12 in at the same time, 2/8-Cath #11 out - 21 days

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, June 18, 2018 11:19 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,973,087 posts in 326,056 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 160891 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, kizzykizzy.
321 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
coreyj, Pistachi0, Chris Topher, C_G_K, TomC1962, huneri