Found this forum after my initial diagnosis, thanks for all the info. Gotta say reading the posts swings me from optimism to despair, I guess this truly is an every case is different disease.
Just had an RRP
on March 1, got my path' results today along with cath' removal. My signature has a diagnosis time-line so I won't re type that here.
Here's the report,
A. Sections show nine lymph nodes, negative for malignancy
B. Sections show multifocal carcinoma with areas of Gleason pattern 3, 4 and 5. Tumor is bilateral and comprises 21% of the left lobe and 3% of the right lobe. Overall Gleason grade is 4+4 =8. Tumor invades left seminal vesicle. Tumor is focally present at inked margin, but shows no definitive extraprostatic extension (aside from left seminal vesicle).
A. pelvis lymph nodes (excision)
-- 9 lymph nodes negative for malignancy (0/9)
B. Prostate gland (Radical prostatectomy)
--Carcinoma, Gleason 4+4 = 8 with multifocal tertiary pattern of 5 present
--Bilateral tumor present, involving 21% of left lobe and 3% of right lobe.
--Tumor invades left seminal vesicle.
--Focal perineural invasion identified.
The surgeon spared both nerves but had to cut into one side a bit. This was the side with perineural invasion. Gotta admit I wish she had just taken the nerve just as a precaution. With the seminal vesicle invasion is there any point in going in and removing it now?
Just make my first couple of trips to the restroom, seem to have fairly good control if some frequency. Got a feeling I'm really going to miss the catheter and bag at night. I loved getting 8 hours sleep without having to get up.
I am really upset about
the lack of notification about
the 3 point jump in '08, I can't help feeling that if we'd been on this sooner my prognosis would be better. I asked my PCP about
this during my pre-op checkup and she just kind of rambled about
changing nurses during that time and "oh by the way you can always call for your results" no apology or real answer why I wasn't told. Not real impressed.
Dr's plan is to wait for 6wk PSA and go from there, if statistically 0 we'll talk about
either a wait and see strategy or some precautionary radiation, if higher she has other options.
Spirits are good, Dr said most cases like mine go for 5-8 or more years, I'm going to fight for more. Glad to hear from everyone, especially those who have faced Gleason 8+ T3b tumors who are still kicking.
Diagnosed 12-09 age 55
07-06 PSA 2.5
01-08 PSA 5.5 (PCP did not tell me of increase or schedule follow-up!!!!)
09-09 PSA 6.5 Sent for consult with Urologist
11-09 Consult, scheduled for biopsy, found out about
PSA from '08 (yes I was pissed)
12-09 Biopsy, initial Gleason 9 (4+5) later reduced to 8 with tertiary 5, ain't much but I'll take it.
01-10 Bone Scan, "appears negative"
by Dr Sejal Quale Durango CO, no naked eye evidence of spread, Vesicles and lymph nodes taken for microscopic exam.
03-16-10 Removal of cath' and pathology results of samples
4+4 with tertiary 5
Invasion of left Seminal vesicle
9 lymph nodes taken all negative
Tumor staging pT3b NO MX
Post Edited (daveshan) : 3/16/2010 6:38:09 PM (GMT-6)