Well, my husband and I had a great time in Arizona, but are back into the info gathering process. We saw a different urologist last week, and I must say I was very pleased with his demeanor and bedside manner. We're meeting again tomorrow with the Rad. Onc. I work with whose specialty is Brachy, then on Monday, we're headed to Edmonton to meet with a Uro who specializes in the robotic sugery.
Having had some time to "digest" the situation, both my husband and myself are in much better places mentally than we were a few weeks back. He may not make ANY decision for a while, and may even opt to do AS for a time, but at least he'll have investigated ALL the options prior to making a decision.
Sleep, however, is still proving to be rather elusive for us both. I got him to take a Gravol before bed last night, and he said that was the best sleep he'd had for quite a while.
It would certainly make his choice easier if there was a definitive way of assuring that his Pca is INDEED low-risk and indolent!!
-Husband's 1st PSA done (age 45) at routine physical PSA 3.8
-DRE at physical indicated no abnormality other than slightly enlarged
-Consult with urologist Jan. 2010---DRE negative, PSA 3.89
-Biopsy Feb. 10, 2010: T1c, Gleason 3 + 3, 2/10 cores pos. (5% in one core, <5% on other core) 1% of core volume positive, gland size 38.84