Urinary tract infections some info and minor educational words

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 3149
   Posted 4/17/2010 9:41 AM (GMT -6)   
Since we have had questions herein on urological conditions and urinary infection issues thought this might be worth a quick read and also will list those urology websites that I have mentioned before for info on various urological issues including PCa.
Debbie, the general term urinary tract infection (UTI) does not define where the infection originated.  Typical symptoms of a lower UTI (bladder) are frequency, burning, and urgency.  With more severe inflammation, blood may appear in the urine.  If bleeding occurs, one should seek consultation with a urologist to ensure that there are no other causes for the bleeding.  If the infection spreads from the bladder into the kidneys, the patient is much more ill and additionally exhibits flank (kidney) pain, fever and chills. Kidney infections (pyelonephritis) may also come from blockage of kidney drainage such as by stones among many other causes. If untreated, kidney infections may then spread into the blood stream causing a life threatening disorder called septicemia.  This requires hospitalization, intravenous antibiotics and intensive care.  Most UTIs involve the lower urinary tract (urethra and/or bladder).  A tentative diagnosis is made by doing a urinalysis which typically demonstrates white blood cells (“pus cells”) and bacteria.  Culturing the urine for bacteria provides a definitive diagnosis. Sensitivity studies are then done on the culture to determine which antibiotics will destroy the germ.  Most routine UTIs require 3-7 days of antibacterial therapy.  If the infections are frequent, long-term contunuous low dose prophylactic antibacterial therapy may be needed.  If one suffers a single kidney infection or multiple lower UTIs, urological investigation of the entire urinary tract is indicated to look for a correctable cause.  This involves looking at the kidneys with imaging studies such as IVP (intravenous pyelogram), CT scan, MRI or ultrasound as well as doing a cystoscopic examination of the lower urinary tract.  A measurement of residual urine  (RU - the urine left behind in the bladder after urinating) should also be measured.  If the RU is significantly elevated, it may be difficult to treat the UTI without measures to empty the bladder better.  With the above information, you should be able to ask appropriate questions of his urologist and get answers.  If still not happy with his care, obtain another opinion.  Good luck!
This was some other docs reply to a gal named Debbie, fyi.  The other websites:



If you had or have blockage issues, I had total blockage early in 2002 and drove to emergency room, after reading this article today (link below), that was wise of course the pain was unreal http://prostatecancer.about.com/od/prostatecancer101/a/emergencies.htm 

Patients need to be streaming and not screaming- LOL! (Flomax can be useful in some cases to get more complete draining out of bladder, fyi)



Youth is wasted on the Young-(W.C. Fields)

Post Edited (zufus) : 4/17/2010 9:03:39 AM (GMT-6)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 25, 2018 4:39 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,369 posts in 329,348 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161831 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, gsdjksd07.
211 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Kent M., oceanfisher58, pombear