I had been bleeding more the past 4-5 days, not a lot, but still, blood. And still getting debris in the catheter bag. Past couple of days, more and more intense spasms that caused a lot of leaking. The leaking has been so bad, I can't leave the house unless I am wearing a full guard or pad.
Yesterday, didnt seem like I was getting much outflow from the cath, but had been walking a lot more, on my feet more, it was a hot day. Empted the night bag at 10 pm, usually it for the night. Woke up around 11:30 and had wet myself. Nothing in the bag. Put on a pull up (hadnt used one of those in over a year) tried to get back to sleep), soon was wetting that, nothing in the bag.
I knew then that my cath was blocked for sure. Any other nite, would have woke my wife up, and she could try to irragate me. But she has been so sick lately allergies and cold, hardly been sleeping. She was sleeping well, so I was up most of the night, slept 10-15 mins at a time, then have forced painful relief through the penis, each time leaving my bladder neck even more raw and sore.
She woke up at 8, and I told her. Fortunately, we still had a full sterile irragation kit my uro gave us months ago and never used. She did the nurse thing, and was able to resolve the blockage. There was a bunch of heavy debris and blood, and even blood was starting to dry and clog the catheter tube itself. Eventually the bladder was emptied without too much pain, and nothing but the water was coming back out.
She had to really clean around the SP opening, it was raw and yeasty from sitting in urine during the night, and we put on a new catheter holder, one of the good ones I ordered.
Right now, seems to be draining. I am drinking plenty of water, was afraid to drink during the night because I knew it would have to come out. Draining a lot of bloody urine right now, but to be expected, as she stirred up things with the irragation.
If it clogs again, or doesn't feel right, my uro is in town tommorow, and I may have to see if he can see me a week earlier. Something had to be causing all the bleeding and leakage in the first place. I am suppose to see him on the 26th anyway, he may just have to fit me in tommorow if needed.
Thank goodness I am married to a nurse. My doctor did not want me going to the local ER, they would have screwed this procedure up too.
Resting now, hurting, but feeling like we may be back in business.
David in SC
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence: 1 Month ED: Non issue at any point post surgery, no problem post SRT
Post Surgery PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA: 1/10 .12, 4/8 .04
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped 9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - 11/27 IMRT SRT 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 35 days, 12/7 - Cath #10 43 days, 1/19 - Corr Surgery #4, Caths #11 and #12 same time, 2/8-Cath #11 out - 21 days, 3/2- Cath #12 out - 41 days, 3/2- Corr Surgery #5, 3/6 Cath #13 out - 4 days, Cath #14 out - 27 days, Cath #15 - 3/29