I am a leaker. At 10 months I am still leaking about
220 to 250 ml per day - 8 oz of pee in my pads. I plot the data daily and see that I am improving at a glacially slow rate. A linear prediction shows I will be dry 9/29 this year. A 2nd order curve prediction says it will flatten out but never stop.
I have 400 - 450 ml capacity in the morning - 14 oz. so I know my bladder can hold normally. I can shoot horizontally a solid 38 inches so I know my bladder pressure is normal. I am just leaking all the time. I calculate the leak size to be 70 um - the size of a hair.
My Uro recommended Dr. Mayer the incontinence specialist in the same practice (of course). Everyone in their office says "he is great" "he has done more slings than anyone" "he'll fix you up."
How can they say that without anyone ever looking at the problem?
I don't want a sling specialist now. I want a Uro to stick a scope up there, take a picture and show me the problem!!! Is there scar tissue? Is there a flap of skin blocking my sphincter? Is my sphincter damaged? Is there a 70 um hole? If the answer is "no" to all of the above questions, then tell me I need a sling. Don't just say I need one.
I am a skeptic and fear that since Dr Mayer is a sling specialist, I will need a sling. Reminds me of the quote: "Everything looks like a nail when your only tool is a hammer".
Today is the "meet and greet". No work will be done. Why the heck not? Is this just a chance for them to charge for another office visit?
Enough ranting. Here's are my questions:
Does anyone know Dr Robert Mayer in Rochester NY? If you were leaking more than 220 ml daily, did the sling work for you? (I have followed Tallman's journey and sadly the answer was "No". )
Am I being unreasonable by asking to be scoped before they decide I need the sling?
Married 34 years, DX Age 56
. First routine PSA test on April 8, 09: 17.8. Start 2 weeks of Cipro to rule out protatitis. May '09 PSA: 22.6, 3 weeks later: PSA: 23.2
. Biopsy 6/10/09
: 7/12 scores positive, 20%-70%, Gleason 6=3+3. Bone and C/T scans neg. RP DaVinci -7/21/2009
@ Univ of Roch Medical Center
Left nerve gone, right partial spared. Catheter removed - 7/31/2009
Pathology report received:
Gleason 3+4=7, Tumor size: 2.5 x 1.8 cm,
location: both lobes and apex.
Extraprostatic extension present; Perineural invasion: present, extensive.
No Malignancy in Seminal Vesicle, vasa deferentia, lymph nodes 0/13
Prostate mass 56 grams. Pathologic Stage: pT3aN0MX Post Surgery Status: Potency -
12/11 5 months, Still no activity, zip. Using pump daily since 11/11. No effect with 20 mg of Cialis or 100 mg of Viagra. Shots next See Uro 1/22/10 Trimix #1. Try 0.08- 25%, 0.12-25%, 2/26/10 try 0.16 First Success! 90%. Incontinence -
8/20 4 full pads per day
.. 9/7 3-4 full pads per day. Try controlling fluids.
12/11/09 5 months: 3 pads per day, 400-450ml/day
02/26/10 7 months: 3 pads but leak is now 320 ml (5 day avg.)
03/22/10 8 months: 3 pads per day, 280 ml/day (5 day avg.) PT says all muscles are tight and working properly. There must be another issue. Uro mtg 4/23. Did I waste 9 months? Mtg 5/22.Post Surgery PSA -
9/3 6 weeks - 0.05; 10/13 3 months - 0.04, 1/14 6 months - 0.05, 4/14 9 months - 0.04 and <0.01 with ECLIA.