Yet another recently diagnosed guy here, in shock over the diagonsis and trying to wrap my head around it all. In a matter of very few days I went from finding out my PSA was 4.7 in the wake of a routine physical to the point where I am now. Saw a urologist that Friday, had the biopsy on Monday, got the call with the positive biopsy results on Thursday, went for bone and CT scans on Monday, saw the urologist for those results on Tuesday. My head is still spinning.
My doctor is fairly young (joined his father's urology practice in 2006), but seems to have a good background with a residency at Mayo. He has several years experience with the Da Vinci but feels that I'm not a good candidate because of pre-existing scar tissue I have in my gut from a prior gall bladdar surgery in 2001. That scar tissue caused problems when I wound up in the hospital by surprise for several days last August for a small bowel obstruction, where the scar tissue basically snagged on my bowel and caused an acute blockage. Somehow, to the surprise of the surgeon following me in the hospital, I dodged surgery and the situation resolved.
My basic info:
PSA 4.7. Prior in May 2008 was 1.6.
Uncle had RRT in early 1990s at age 66. Grandfather was diagnosed with PCa at 80 but no action was taken before his death from other causes at 88.
Biopsy showed GS 7 (4+3) with 8 of 9 samples positive. Right side is most severe with 94%, 80%, 93%. PNI was detected.
Bone and CT scans negative.
Doc feels it's best to move forward as soon as practical with RRT. I started a new job (6 month contract on an office job) the day before I received my diganosis. As of July 1st I'll have short-term disability, which was the major factor in scheduling me for early July instead of late June. He says it's optimal to move forward 6-8 weeks after biopsy.
I'm wavering just a bit between wanting the Ca out of my body before it can spread, to wishing I could postpone it since at the moment i feel physicall fine and have full function, and that I know things will never again be the same afterwards.
There are other factors going on as well, just things that keep my life "interesting". A year ago, with no warning, my wife walked out. We had been married for 4 years and literally never had a fight. It completely blindsided me and I attribute the stress i went through from that and some other stuff over the past year to the rate at which my Ca has progressed. She never made any effort at fixing things either before or after she left. Of course, before she left i had no idea she thought there were any problems. We moved into separate small rental homes in the same town, but next week she moves out of state. Not that I would expect any level of support from her, but at least she has kept me on her insurance policy since I have been unemployed for the past year. That insurance ended 2 days ago and we're scrambling for me to get a COBRA policy.
I have to keep my PCa secret from my employer. I'm the new guy who's fairly expendable and if for any reason they decided to let me go before my benefits start in July I'll be screwed, both in regards to income and disability insurance. I fear that if they knew now what I'm up against that they'd bring in someone else to work on the project I was hired to do. There's a chance this position could become permanent, but even if it doesn't I really need to hang onto my income as long as possible. I figure that on July 1 I'll tell my manager that I have to go in for surgery the following week and that it will take me out of commission for at least a couple of weeks, giving as few details as possible.
Mentally and emotionally I'm bitter and angry about winding up like this, along with being depressed, etc.
Post Edited (pogmothoin) : 5/23/2010 12:50:47 PM (GMT-6)