New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

BillArb
Regular Member


Date Joined Jun 2010
Total Posts : 35
   Posted 6/9/2010 5:46 PM (GMT -6)   
Sorry to say that I've joined the club!  I'm 63 years old in relatively good health.  I do have a non-life-threatening form of T-Cell Lymphoma and have had it for more than 5 years.  Over the past two years, my PSA velocity has risen and my urologist has been religious about following the numbers.  My last reading was 3.6 and he ordered a biopsy.  It came back showing ca in 3 of the 12 probes at the top of the prostate.  One spot on the left was 3+3 and two on the right were 3+4.  No palpable masses and staging is T1(c).
 
My doctor is recommending radical prostatectomy and he prefers doing it via incision, as opposed to laproscopically or via robotics.  He's recommending that I wait for a few months because my prostate is still sore/tender from the biopsy.  He also feels that I should take the time to seek a second opinion, get a full cardio work-up (I have controlled high blood pressure), and work to get my weight down.  At the present time, my body mass index is 29.3 so there definitely is some room for improvement there.
 
With that as a background, I'm curious to hear from others about their experiences in having the traditional form of prostate surgery.  I'd also like to hear from anyone who used Dr. Carl Mills (on Long Island, NY) to do their surgery.  Thanks for the input.

goodlife
Veteran Member


Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 2692
   Posted 6/9/2010 5:57 PM (GMT -6)   
Bill

Welcome to the club no one wants to belong to.

I would recommend a second opinion of your biopsy slides, and of your treatment options before answering any questions.

Be certain your doctor is not just recommending what type of surgery he likes to do versus what is best for you. Robotic is claimed to be easier on you because of the less invasive nature, realtively little blood loss, etc. Normal waiting time is 6 to 8 weeks.

You certainly should see a radiation oncologist also. You may be a better candidate for brachytherapy than surgery.

Take some time to learn about PC and your options.

Good luck.
Goodlife
 
Age 58, PSA 4.47 Biopsy - 2/12 cores , Gleason 4 + 5 = 9
Da Vinci, Cleveland Clinic  4/14/09   Nerves spared, but carved up a little.
0/23 lymph nodes involved  pT3a NO MX
Catheter and 2 stints in ureters for 2 weeks .
Neg Margins, bladder neck negative
Living the Good Life, cancer free  6 week PSA  <.03
3 month PSA <.01 (different lab)
5 month PSA <.03 (undetectable)
6 Month PSA <.01
1 pad a day, no progress on ED.  Trimix injection
No pads, 1/1/10,  9 month PSA < .01
1 year psa (364 days) .01


Purgatory
Elite Member


Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25393
   Posted 6/9/2010 6:13 PM (GMT -6)   
Welcome to HW, Bill.

Sounds like you have already started doing your homework and the best advice is to get that second or even third opinion, before deciding on a treatment course. I had open Surgery, so if you want any advice on it, be happy to share info with you. There are tons of guys here with Robotic experience, and we have a growing number of men that were treated with "Seeding".

Please keep us posted.

David in SC
Age: 57, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 7/08 12.3, 9/08 14.5, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 - 7/7 Positive, 40-90% Cancer, Gleason 4+3
Open RP: 11/08, Rht nerves saved, 4 days in hospt, on catheters for 63 days, 5th one out 1/09
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incontinence:  1 Month     ED:  Non issue at any point post surgery, no problem post SRT
Post Surgery  PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA: 1/10 .12, 4/8 .04, next one:  July
Latest: 7/9 met 2 rad. oncl, 7/9 cath #6 - blockage, 8/9 2nd corr surgery, 8/9 cath #7 out 38 days, 9/9 - met 3rd rad. oncl., mapped  9/9, 10/1 - 3rd corr. surgery - SP cath/hard dialation, 10/5 - 11/27 IMRT SRT 39 sess/72 gys ,cath #8 33 days, Cath #9 35 days, 12/7 - Cath #10 43 days, 1/19 - Corr Surgery #4,  Caths #11 and #12  same time, 2/8-Cath #11 out - 21 days, 3/2- Cath #12 out - 41 days, 3/2- Corr Surgery #5, 3/6 Cath #13 out - 4 days, Cath #14- 27 days, Cath #15 - 26 days, Cath #16 - 31 days, 5/24 put in Cath #17


BB_Fan
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 1011
   Posted 6/9/2010 6:13 PM (GMT -6)   
Sounds like your Doc is giving you good advice regarding waitibg period ans second opinion. I also agree with Goodlife on biopsy second opinion. Sorry about your diagnosis. BB
Dx with PC Dec 2008 at 56, PSA 3.4


Biopsy: T1c, Geason 7 (3+4) - 8 cores taken with 4 positive for PCa, 30% of all 4 cores.

Robotic Surgery March 2009 Hartford Hospital, Dr Wagner
Pathology Report: T2c, Geason 8, organ confined, negitive margins, lymph nodes negitive - tumor volume 9%
nerves spared, no negitive side effects of surgery

One night in hospital, back to work in 3 weeks

psa Jun 09 <.01
psa Oct 09 <.01
psa Jan 10 .07 re-test one week later .05
psa Mar 10 .28 re-test two weeks later .31
psa May 10  .50

Aril 10 MRI and Bone Scan show lesion on lower spine, false positive. 
 
Started HT 5/25/10 with 3 month shot of Trelstar. SRT scheduled for late July


mvesr
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 823
   Posted 6/9/2010 7:13 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Bill

Sorry you had to join us, but glad you found this site. You will get a lot of response from guys who have had different types of treatments. You do need to get a second opinion on both your biopsy slides and types of treatments. As for my treatment, I had open surgery at Duke University Hospital and spent two days in there with very little blood loss and very little pain. No pain meds after leaving the hospital and that was 3 years ago. Good luck to you and keep us informed on your journey.

Mika
age at dx 54 now 58
psa at dx 4.3
got the bad news 1/29/07
open surgery Duke Medical Center 5-29-07
never more than 2 pads
ED is getting better
the shots work great, still can't give them to myself
three years of zero's
Retired again after 36 years February 1, 2010


Bootheel
Regular Member


Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 300
   Posted 6/10/2010 8:23 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi, and welcome to the club.  Lots of good info here.  With that low of a PSA you have time to research your options.  I consulted with three surgeons and decided on Laproscopic due to 5 previous hernia repairs.  Explore all your options before making a decision.  Good luck.
Age 65
Diagnosed 10/12/07
PSA 6.3
Biopsy 18 core samples, 2 positive <5%
Stage T1a Gleason 6 (3+3)
LRP  1/29/08
Post-op
Gleason 7 (3+4)
1 positive margin (.3cm)
T2C
4/16/08- Started Bi-mix injections 
5/15/08- 1st Post-Op PSA 0.07 Undetectable
8/11/08 -2nd Post-OP PSA 0.02 Undetectable
8/15/08- No more pads as of today  Whoopee!!!
11/13/08- 3rd post-op PSA 0.02 Undetectable
03/02/09- 1 yr. post-op PSA .09 Undetectable
05/13/09   PSA .18 (ouch)
Started IMRT June 13, 2009
Completed 37 treatments July 31, 2009 (66.6gy)
11/23/09 Post IMRT PSA .18
2/12/10   Post IMRT PSA 0.00

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 9:18 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,770 posts in 329,263 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161801 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, kissel123.
277 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Highwayman, PeterDisAbelard., GoBucks, Vdang2k