Thank you to everybody who has replied.
I will continue with with my plan to wait for the next PSA test, now less than 4 months away. I am expecting a further rise, and if .25 or beyond, then yes, I will go with SRT, even though the nomograms show only a 30% to 40% chance of a cure. (Also depends on what the docs say.) If there is only a small rise, then probably I will continue watching. My uro thought that some benign prostate tissue left behind might have been responsible for the earlier rise, so there is still a chance that that my PSA will stabilize at around its current levels. (Clutching at straws!)
Even if my PSA gets to 0.4 before SRT gets started, that still doesn't make the PCa untreatable. The Sloan-Kettering Salvage Radiation Therapy nomogram: www.mskcc.org/applications/nomograms/Prostate/SalvageRadiationTherapy.aspx
shows that with my numbers and a 6-month doubling time there is a 35% chance of a "cure" with a PSA of 0.2 and a 30% with a PSA of 0.4. That is trading off a 15% worsening of my chances compared with a chance (5%? -- a guess) that I won't need SRT at all. Is a 5% chance of no SRT at all better than a 15% worse outcome if I do go with delayed SRT? I'm not really a gambler, but right now, I'll run with those odds.
And if I also opted for neoadjuvant hormones, the nomogram shows a "cure" rate better than 50%, so that is something I will also have to consider, again depending on the docs.
Another factor in my case is that I am otherwise in good health so have a reasonable expectation, without PCa, of living another 15 years, which would take me to age 80.
How well will I tolerate SRT and hormones? I have no way of knowing, but I should expect at least a small impact on my quality of life. How does a reduced QOL compare with a longer life? Would I trade off a year of life for better quality? Probably.
There are no easy answers here, and as with much to do with PCa, it is an individual choice. As a compromise, I will perhaps see an oncologist, so that if my next PSA shows a significant rise, the wheels will already be in motion.
Thanks again for your interest and inputs, and I will update this thread when there is anything new to report.