Posted 7/26/2010 7:07 PM (GMT -6)
I can see why, if there were pos margins, and/or the gleason was higher when viewed post op through pathology, that they would suggest radiation. If you have good reason to believe that the cancer has escaped the prostate, then it makes sense that you'd want to radiate the prostate bed to stop it's spread and possibly save your life. My concern would be why the radiation AND the HT. Each of those two in and of themselves can cause problems, and unless your post op pathology was really crazy (bad), i'd be surprised that they would suggest having both. You post op pathology is what you need to see, and share here, if you want some experienced opinions by some very well studied patients (myself excluded).
I dont know what "regal" means about the "freeloaders".. I have seen very few people here state anything other than their most well intentioned opinions. So i'd take the comments of that user, both now and going forward, with a very big grain of something.
First ever PSA test Jan 2010 @ 51 years old. 4.0.
Digital exam in March 2010 showed 1 side hard, other soft.
Biopsy, positive in 3 of 12.
Davinci @ Boston Medical Center, May 17, 2010.
Was suggested prior to it was likely contained.
June 1 advised 3+-4 was really 4+3 per pathology. Pos margins.
Listed on patholgy as PT3, but with extraprostatic extension,
microscopic invasion of the bladder neck, PT3A is perhaps the case.
Catheter removed June 1.. 1 pad/day, doing ok. ED, but not in rush.
Sore as heck down there, but doing much walking with my wife.
To meet with my Uri (1st meeting since) June 17 - 1 mo point, to discuss.
BMC already has me setup to meet with radiology.
Felling a little better each day. Cant tell if my expectancy just went from 10-15 down to 5-7, the information out there appears to be all over the place. I WILL NOT radiate my insides to the point of being a veg for the sake of a few years. QOL is primary to me. Selfish I guess. I pray for all of you as I do for myself, but must remember that i've had a pretty good 50+ years, and know others who have lost their children to disease.. so I dont have the nerve to complain! Update 7/14/2010: When I tried changing this sig a few days after creating it, system was broken. My new rad oncologist are discussing IMRT.. though he says he can see why waiting a bit and watching the PSA on super sensitive basis might make sense. I am leaning towards IMRT.. thinking is my body is pretty strong now, i'm 51, and if I can rid my body of this while trying to minimize the side effects.. I dunno. No really Good answers. When I said I didnt want radiation to the point of being a veg.. I really meant there is a limit as to where I wish to go in order to realize only a small increase in life expectancy.. and not that I am an unreasonable person. I do, after all, have an obligation to my wife and kids.