VERY much thanks to all for sharing your perspectives on this. If I wasn't sure that the disease had escaped the prostate that I had removed, this would be an easy decision - "easier" I should say- there's not alot of "easy" anything about
any of this for any of us. But pathology shows that it has.. so it seems to me that there is basically a ticking timebomb still ticking inside of me. And i'll always know it.
On the otherhand... I haven't even fully recovered from the surgery... or the removal of my prostate - two distinctly different assaults on my body, of course. I do think that the more time I can buy myself before having RT, if at all, the more time I have to heal.. so that I might have a better long term quality of life should I need RT down the road.
Another factor that pressures me into waiting until the psa rises is that I see the potential for new medications and cures in the not too distant future. It would REALLY be cruel to radiate my insides so that 5 years from now that poison is continuing to do damage to my body, when science had found new treatments that offer a superior result.
I don't know folks. Everyone is right - there is no easy answer. I stopped smoking in Jan, months before I had a clue about
having PCa. I now enjoy walking 3 miles a day, having started when my doctors said to get that excersize in order to recouperate sooner from the surgery. The result is I actually feel better than I have in years. Go Figure.
So while I have tough decisions to make about
my own care, I pray more so for others like Purg - and others, who's fight is hitting home TODAY. God bless you guys! I do pray for you, often!
First ever PSA test Jan 2010 @ 51 years old. 4.0.
Digital exam in March 2010 showed 1 side hard, other soft.
Biopsy, positive in 3 of 12.
Davinci @ Boston Medical Center, May 17, 2010.
Was suggested prior to it was likely contained.
June 1 advised 3+-4 was really 4+3 per pathology. Pos margins.
Listed on patholgy as PT3, but with extraprostatic extension,
microscopic invasion of the bladder neck, PT3A is perhaps the case.
Catheter removed June 1.. 1 pad/day, doing ok. ED, but not in rush.
Sore as heck down there, but doing much walking with my wife.
To meet with my Uri (1st meeting since) June 17 - 1 mo point, to discuss.
BMC already has me setup to meet with radiology.
Felling a little better each day. Cant tell if my expectancy just went from 10-15 down to 5-7, the information out there appears to be all over the place. I WILL NOT radiate my insides to the point of being a veg for the sake of a few years. QOL is primary to me. Selfish I guess. I pray for all of you as I do for myself, but must remember that i've had a pretty good 50+ years, and know others who have lost their children to disease.. so I dont have the nerve to complain! Update 7/14/2010: When I tried changing this sig a few days after creating it, system was broken. My new rad oncologist are discussing IMRT.. though he says he can see why waiting a bit and watching the PSA on super sensitive basis might make sense. I am leaning towards IMRT.. thinking is my body is pretty strong now, i'm 51, and if I can rid my body of this while trying to minimize the side effects.. I dunno. No really Good answers. When I said I didnt want radiation to the point of being a veg.. I really meant there is a limit as to where I wish to go in order to realize only a small increase in life expectancy.. and not that I am an unreasonable person. I do, after all, have an obligation to my wife and kids.