At the treatment center in Denver (TUCC) where I am being treated for PC, I have been asked to participate in an investigational study for a new and promising method to detect PC very early, perhaps without the need for a biopsy, or at least to eliminate unnecessary biopsies based on elevated PSA readings alone.
The test is called " Four Gene Signature Test" and it is done with a simple urine sample. The test is used in conjunction with a PSA test to determine if the elevated reading is caused by cancer or something else, the idea being to reduce the number of negative result biopsies...
In the United States alone there are over 1 million prostate cancer tissue biopsy procedures performed annually. Approximately 25% of these tissue biopsies are reported “positive” indicating the presence of prostate cancer. The other 75% of prostate cancer tissue biopsies are reported as “negative” for the presence of cancer. However, one-third of the men with initial prostate cancer tissue biopsies that are reported as “negative” for prostate cancer (roughly 25% of men at risk of having prostate cancer) actually do have prostate cancer that was missed by the first biopsy (False Negative). These men actually have prostate cancer that was missed by the initial tissue biopsy for a variety of reasons. Health Discovery Corporation’s prostate cancer molecular diagnostic test is a genomics based test that should be performed on the 75% of men (approximately 600,000 men annually in the US alone) with initial biopsies reported as negative to assist physicians in identifying those men who could have prostate cancer that was missed by the first biopsy.
The study is being conducted by Health Discovery Corporation.
Age today: 68. Married, 6', 215 pounds, active, no health issues.
PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative. Advice, "Keep an eye on it".
PSA at age 58: 4.5
PSA at age 61: 5.2
PSA at age 64: 7.5, DRE "Abnormal"
PSA at age 65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
PSA at age 66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, Finesteride. (Proscar)
PSA at age 67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
PSA at age 67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
PSA at age 68, 7.0, third 12 core biopsy positive for cancer in 4 cores, 3 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 9. Finesteride discontinued, still no urinary symptoms, never had any..From age 55 to 65 I had no health insurance.
I have a date with the robo surgeon on Sept 3 but I'm keeping my options
open. I'm also looking at seeds combined with IGRT which seems to be having good results with high-risk patients..
Post Edited (Fairwind) : 8/31/2010 3:18:50 PM (GMT-6)