I haven't posted for a while, but my husband has kind of been in "limbo" with the PCa thing. Post-biopsy, his PSA readings were rising. In July, it had dropped back down to 4.01. This morning, I found out that his PSA is down to 2.83.......lower than at time of diagnosis!!
Since being diagnosed in Feb. 2009, we have gone through the sheer terror, and have educated ourselves as much as possible. We met with several urologists and discussed open and robotic prostatectomy options. I have nothing but respect for both surgeons....they were extremely forthright and honest. What my husband DIDN'T like was that the robotic surgeon said that the absolute best odds of regaining erectile function were a mere 50/50, and that the risk of having positive post-op margins was 15% (in their experience given his stage/grade).
After more research, my husband has decided that when he does pursue treatment, it will be Brachy. The RO who will perform the procedure is a big proponent of AS, or as he likes to call it "deferred treatment". We have postponed his procedure date until Jan. 2011, and given this most recent PSA, may defer it even longer.
I have to tell you that as terrified as we were upon hearing the diagnosis, we have settled into a relatively normal life....in fact, my husband says that most days he doesn't even think about it.
I think if he's going to delay his treatment much beyond Jan., I'd like to see him have a saturation biopsy. I understand that low PSA does not necessarily mean indolent disease.
Anyway, all is well for now, and we're both comfortable with the decisions he's made.
-Husband's 1st PSA done (age 45) at routine physical PSA 3.8
-DRE at physical indicated no abnormality other than slightly enlarged
-Consult with urologist Jan. 2010---DRE negative, PSA 3.89
-Biopsy Feb. 10, 2010: T1c, Gleason 3 + 3, 2/10 cores pos. (5% in one core, <5% on other core) 1% of core volume positive, gland size 38.84
-consult with "open" prostatectomy uro March 2010
-2 consults with rad. onc. for Brachy March, Apr. 2010....also discussed AS
-latest PSA reading April 8 4.63
-consult with "robotic" uro Apr. 12....tentative surgery date booked July 8
-Have also booked tentative Brachy date of July 20th.
-undecided as yet
_April 27th PSA 5.02!! Repeat May 19th. If still high, then a course of antibiotics and repeat. If still high, proceed with treatment.