Welcom to MsLaBob

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

English Alf
Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 2218
   Posted 10/11/2010 2:58 PM (GMT -6)   
Elsewhere MsLaBob posted this

Hi Guys,
Pre-newb here with a question
I just got a call from my GP saying my routine annual PSA results were 4.24. Last years was .91 so she is referring me to a Urologist. I am 56 male with no symptoms and my DRE was fine last week during my annual physical. I have no family history of Prostate problems.
I had my PSA test done about 15 hours after my DRE,can this cause a high reading?
During my physical and DRE last week my Doc told me she was just getting over Strep. Could she have caused this spike in the PSA?
Thank you.4

Welcome MsLaBob
A referral is a good first step.
A PSA soon after a DRE (and soon after sex) may make the PSA go up.
One thing a uro should do is consider at this stage is also the posibility of an infection and give you antibiotics to see if that brings the PSA down.


New Member

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 10/11/2010 4:50 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks Alf. I got a little freaked out and posted before saying I hope you all are doing well on here and my thoughts are with you.
My Dr was concerned because of the large jump in PSA number over last year. I've never given my prostate a thought so I'm reading madly now. Anti biotics and another PSA test sounds good.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 644
   Posted 10/11/2010 6:39 PM (GMT -6)   
They shouldn't have done a PSA test so soon after a DRE; that can easily cause an unnaturally high reading. The strep wouldn't have anything to do with it. The proper approach at this point is to go see a urologist, as your GP recommended. The urologist has several options in terms of other kinds of tests and may recommend a biopsy right away, or do some other blood work first. Or may simply give you some antibiotics and have you retest the PSA in a month or so. Any of those are OK. Prostate cancer is not so fast moving that you have to book yourself for surgery at the earliest possible moment. You have the time to take it step by step, and think things through.

Don't panic, but don't ignore it either. There is a reasonable chance that it is benign, but if not, the good news is you've caught it early and that gives you excellent chance to be rid of it. Stay calm but stay engaged with it until you find out what you are dealing with this.

Be careful what you read; there is a lot of bad info out there which can panic you unnecessarily or lull you into unwarranted complacency. A good place to start is Patrick Walsh's "guide to surviving prostate cancer".

Good luck with it. Hopefully you won't have to be hanging around here, but you're always welcome to share more information as you gather it, and people here can help you make sense of it all.
DX at age 54 12/2009
Initial clinical profile: PSA 5.6, DRE-, high pre-op PSAV. Clinical stage T1c
Biopsy: Gleason 3+4 with PNI / 6 of 14 cores + / 10% of total length + / worst 45% +
TX: Robotic assisted RP 2/2010
Pathology: pT2cNx / Gleason 3+4 / PNI+ / SM- / SV- / EPE- / Tumor vol 7% / vol 40cc / 63 Grams
PSA - post-op 0.01

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 10/11/2010 8:16 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks Pro, I have been browsing the forum and learning a ton this afternoon. I'm a bit of a geek for facts and Im not shy about questioning the Dr's or getting a second opinion.
I'll check out Walsh's book to start.

Ed C. (Old67)
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 2461
   Posted 10/11/2010 9:36 PM (GMT -6)   
Your high PSA reading could be related to BHP or some infection. Your Uro will probably prescribe some antibiotic for 10 days and recheck you PSP. If the next test is still high then he may do a biopsy.

Cajun Jeff
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 4119
   Posted 10/11/2010 10:20 PM (GMT -6)   
MsLaBob, The right step to go to the Uro. As others have said there are other things that can make that PSA Jump. I hope it is a false alarm. I would not dismiss this jump let the Uro decide what to investigate. Do keep us posted.

Cajun Jeff
9/08 PSA 5.4 referred to Urologist
9/08 Biopsy: GS 3+4=7 1 positive core in 12 1% cancer core
10/08 Nerve-Sparing open radicalSurgery Path Report Downgrade 3+3=6 GS Stage pT2c margins clea
r3 month: PSA <0.1
19th month: PSA <0.1
Only issue at this time is ED

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 10/14/2010 9:56 AM (GMT -6)   
Thank you to the forum , the links and for your individually stories. They are pretty remarkable.
I have a Urologist appointment next Tuesday and am finding that I am having a great deal of trouble focusing on anything other than getting answers. I have not picked up Dr Walsh's book yet because I don't know whether reading it will help with my anxiety or make it worse. I am not mentally prepared for a diagnoses and as a major control freak that is troubling. Sorry to bug you guys when you have tremendous challenges of your own.

Trevor T.
New Member

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 9
   Posted 10/14/2010 11:51 AM (GMT -6)   
I've had the misfortune of going through this process this year. Before you buy the book, (and Strum's book - A Primer on Prostate Cancer an Empowered Patient's Guide) you need to see the Urologist. He should put on an antibiotic and test you 30 days later. It's more likely than not that you have some sort of infection that's causing the PSA elevation or, in the alternative, the DRE before the blood test caused the spike. Until you know, don't bother researching anything further. It will make you frantic. There's way too much information out there, and the "what ifs" will cause needless concern.

If, after the antibiotics, your PSA is still elevated, you'll have to make a decision on whether you want to wait six months (most PC is slow growing and delaying treatment won't affect your outcome) and have another PSA or whether you want to have a biopsy. That's when you should start reading - a little - and then only about the biopsy. My advice is to only read the books and come to the boards once you have a diagnosis of PC. Then, and only then, do you need to think about treatments.

I realize this is difficult. I too started to go crazy and assume the worst when my PSA came in a little bit high. I'm healthy and in extremely good physical condition, how could I have PC? I even put off the biopsy for six month to ensure that the PSA would remain elevated. It did. And, finally after going to two different Urologists I succumbed to the biopsy. When I was diagnosed with PC, I devoured the information that's on the Internet. But, not until then.

Don't sweat it unless they find something. The odds against you having PC are in your favor.



New Member

Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 10/14/2010 12:23 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks Trevor. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Consider me ,gone fishin for awhile.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, September 24, 2018 4:30 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,994 posts in 329,291 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161818 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, demonsss.
215 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details