I was put on a special diet before my SRT aimed at reducing gas and irritated bowel. The original info was in Dutch - this is a translation:
Tips for regular BMs:
- Adjust your food intake to ensure you have three regular meals a day
- Drink 2 litres (2000ml or about 4 pints) per day. And vary what you drink eg tea, coffee, water still fruit juices, milk, soup.
- Chew your food well or chop your food finely. And eat slowly
- Take regular exercise
Tips for reducing flatulence and an irritated bowel:
Avoid eating the following:
- Breads with nuts or seeds, black bread, muesli, cruesli
- Citrus fruits such as oranges mandarins lemons and grapefruit (I also stopped having marmalade)
- Pineapple, dried fruits such as prunes, apricots and figs
- Spicy foods peppers, garlic, curries etc
- Nuts, peanuts and coconut products
- Beer (including alcohol-free beer) sodas or any fizzy drinks.
- No more than four cups of coffee per day
- Pulses such as brown beans lentils
- Raw vegetables including: Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, asparagus, celery, mushrooms, cabbage, corn, paprikas, leeks, rhubarb, sprouts and onions. (note that in Holland Rhubarb is a vegetable!)
It is not a completely unhealthy diet as the following veg are allowed: endives, beetroot, cauliflower, broccoli, courgette, peas, paksoi, mange-tout, spinach, French beans, fennel, chicory and carrots.
It is also important to avoid swallowing air. Tips to help this include, eat slowly, don't talk while eating, don;t smoke and don't chew gum.
It was fairly simple to make these changes (I'm the cook) and I switched back a more normal diet afterwards, but as I am having so much gas and a fairly messed up bowel I might well try eliminating some of these things again.
You may need to check if Beetroot is okay for a different reason. Some docs may also tell you to avoid Beetroot so that you don't get the red/pink colour showing up in your pee!
I hope you find something that makes things improve
All the best
Born Jun ‘60
Apr 09 PSA 8.6
Biop 2 of 12 pos
29 Jul 09 DaVinci AVL-NKI Amsterdam
6 Aug 09 Cath out
PostOp Gleason 3+4 Bladder neck & Left SVI -T3b
No perin’l No vasc invasion Clear margins
Dry at night
21 Sep 09 No pads daytime
17 Nov 09 PSA 0.1
17 Mar 10 PSA 0.4 sent to RT
13 Apr 10 CT
28 Apr 10 start RT 66Gy
11 Jun 10 end RT
14 Sep 10 PSA <0.1