Haven't posted since our trip to Zihuatanejo (which was FANTASTIC....31 days of BLISS!!)
My husband has been in AS since he was diagnosed in Feb. 2009. PSAs have been a bit erratic....the most recent last week being 2.74!! I don't place much stock in the PSA readings, as I didn't realize he had been taking Green Tea Extract supplements up until the week before the PSA test. A word of caution....some of the really potent antioxidants can artificially "mask" PSA levels, and lead to a false sense of security.
As it had been a year since diagnosis, and given my husband's young age, I really didn't feel comfortable with him delaying treatment any longer without having a follow-up biopsy. I emailed a prominent expert in AS to ask how many biopsy cores were sufficient for a repeat biopsy for someone on AS. He (surprisingly) replied within minutes, and said that he uses the "Vienna Nomogram", and that perhaps more importantly, is to ensure that cores are taken from the anterior and anteriolateral aspect of the prostate.
Ten cores are standard for a biopsy here, but after referring to the Vienna Nomogram (which takes into consideration the age and prostate volume of the patient), it was determined that 14 cores would be sufficient for my husband.
He had his biopsy done last Thursday, and the Radiologist performing the biopsy had no problem with accommodating our request for additional core samples. As with the last biopsy, all went without a hitch....no pain, no bleeding, and minimal discomfort. We should find out the results in a week or two, depending on how back-logged the pathologists are. My husband is prepared to proceed with Brachy in May or June (he has to wait AT LEAST that long after biopsy to let the insult to the prostate subside), if need be.
Even though I haven't contributed much, I've really appreciated being able to "lurk" on the forum. What great people, and what a great resource for those of us struggling through this journey!! Thank you!!
Just a refresher....I am a Radiation Therapist, and would be happy to help those of you who have questions or concerns regarding the process/side effects of RT. Obviously, as I'm not an RO, I can't give any prognostic info, but I'd be happy to help you out with "the basics"!!
Thanks again to all!!!
-Husband's 1st PSA done (age 45) at routine physical PSA 3.8
-DRE at physical indicated no abnormality other than slightly enlarged
-Consult with urologist Jan. 2010---DRE negative, PSA 3.89
-Biopsy Feb. 10, 2010: T1c, Gleason 3 + 3, 2/10 cores pos. (5% in one core, <5% on other core) 1% of core volume positive, gland size 38.84
-consult with "open" prostatectomy uro March 2010
-2 consults with rad. onc. for Brachy March, Apr. 2010....also discussed AS
-latest PSA reading April 8 4.63
-consult with "robotic" uro Apr. 12....tentative surgery date booked July 8
-Have also booked tentative Brachy date of July 20th.
-undecided as yet
_April 27th PSA 5.02!! Repeat May 19th. If still high, then a course of antibiotics and repeat. If still high, proceed with treatment.