There are many aspects to surgery or treatment for PC besides the Surgeon.
1) Have you reviewed all your options and understand the ramifications - the big item is the cure not the erection afterwards
a) My case - nerve sparing didn't work because that is where the cancer was located
b) Maybe you want to talk about nerve graft if they find the same problem with you.
2) Each Surgeon has his plus and minuses so you need to know what type of support you will have after
a) If additional procedures are needed for strictures etc
b) Can you see him if you need to or will you be sent to PA, resident or intern or your local urologist.
3) Facility at which the surgery is done.
a) Opt for one which does RP more than once or month - surgical staff are familiar
b) Post Surgery recuperation - if nurses aren't familiar with RP patients and problems you could be in trouble
c) Cleanliness - Guy on here asked the question about cleanliness - I got a staph infection and this may have contributed
to problems post surgery
4) Convenience - I am in the cornfields of Ohio - so there are some larger hospitals locally - Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati,
Cleveland and Toledo but all are more than 1 hr away - Columbus being 2 and Cleveland 3 hrs. I just had a post surgery
problem fixed at Cleveland Clinic because my local urologist did not want to do the procedure because he did not do the
procedure enough to be proficient.
5) Some of the guys recommended starting to exercise your erection - get a vacuum pump and pump it all to get blood moving
prior to surgery as well as you viagra or cialis - my surgeon didn't think of that until the surgery was done. It may not have
helped me but it could help you. Talk to your urologist about it.
6) If married or have a partner discuss the WHAT IF's - continence, ED etc and make some of your decisions on that.
Focus on the Cure not the side effects which will affect you but their degree will not be known in some cases to 2 months to 15 months later.
Cancer 50 Gleason 3 + 2 40% PSA 6.8
Cancer was apex of prostrate - nerve sparing couldn't be done effectively
Free from cancer 10 yrs in June.