Had my six month checkup with my doc following activation of my AMS 899 AUS. Some of you have followed my journey since the sling days so I thought I would post this report.
It is really not much to report. Everything is normal. My AUS is working fine and the doc says my experience is at the "high end" of normal. I asked her a couple of things relative to other threads about AUS.
- To deactivate or not at night. She still contends that evidence pro and con is non conclusive so it is my call. It does relax the cuff and perhaps causes less wear and tear of the urethera but that's just conjecture. Activating and deactivating also may cause more wear and tear on the device but again, just conjecture.
- She took me through the method to deactivate/activate is I should ever need or want to do so. I intend to practice this a bit and may try going deactivated at night for a while. I have always been able to "hole it" at night. Still get up about two times during the night. An Advil PM helps to sleep better since any little urge seems to wake me up. She says this is fine to do the PM.
- I commented about being a bit more "bulky" in the scrotum than before. She says this is normal. I still sleep most nights with a knee pillow because it is more comfortable. I can move "the package" from between the legs and it acomplishes the same thing.
- I continue to leak a little when stressed playing golf or heavy lifting. Also leak a few residual drops after urinating if I don't wait long enough. Wear one light ladies Always Affinity Flexi Wings pad per day. Same playing golf and I change at the turn just to be safe but could probably make an entire round as long as I pee at the turn and don't drink too much.
- My PSAs continue to be negative and I will continue on the every six month check up.
- Still have total ED but not an issue for my wife and I. I may take this issue up with a specialist now that incontinence is under control.
My profile below shows links to my other threads if someone new searchs this on HW and would like to access them.
Thank God for the AMS 800. It can give you your life back.
66 year old male
PSA jumped 3 to 8 Jan 2008
pt2b NO Mx with a Gleason score 3+3=6.
DaVinci RP, 7/23/08. Tumor type: Acinar
size 5.5 cm x 5.7 cm weight: 77 gm.
Incontinence & ED. Dry nights , no control during day.
FUDS and cystourethroscopy testing 10/09.
24 hr pad wt. 219gm. AUA sympton index 13/35=moderate
Virtue sling surgery 2/3/10 NYU med center
Appeared to help but gradually returned to pre surgery condition.
Back to 3-4 pads/day.
Latest PSA 4/1/10 negative.
AMS 800 artificial urinary sphincter implanted 7/8/10 at U of MI.
AMS 800 activated 8/25/10 Dry for first time in 2 years.
Links to my journey posts: