I FINALLY got a call this morning from Dr. Hussein's office.
As most of you know,, I had my surgery and now a BCR. The SCARY part, still, is the degree of the last rise resullting in a PSADT of 2 months. So, it is time for SRT. I have that in place, set to start with the set-up (they call is a "simulation") on Tuesday. They then map it all out. It takes about a week. Then I think they do a trial run and then the real thing.
But the question was: given the obvious aggressiveness of my PC, do I hit it harder via adjuvent HT. There are definite studies showing it increases the probability of a cure by a very significant amount. That's the pro argument. There is a con argument questioning whether it masks the effectiveness of the SRT (it definitely does). So, are you using up another bullet, albeit a delaying one, quicker than otherwise. The other main drawback is the SE of the HT in itself, and also coupled with the radiation. I REALLY DIDN'T want to do that.
Anyway, I don't want to dredge up those arguments. The recommendation from Dr. Hussein's office was NOT TO DO ANY SCANS (that was another question I had) OR HT. She recommends I do the SRT only. Hopefully, I'll catch a break and be in the small percentage that get cured (or a decent remission). If that doesn't work, we will have a consultation and most likely I'll go the HT route.
It is truly a relief to have this decision made.
One vent. I sent an email on Friday asking the aforementioned question. I did a follow-up telephone call Monday afternoon and was told they would get back to me after asking Dr. Hussein either later that day or for sure on Tuesday. Well, Tuesday afternoon, hearing nothing, I called again. They assured me they would get back to me later that day. They called today, late morning. You know, this was kind of important, especially with the SRT set to start the process next week. I really get annoyed when they SAY they will get the information by XXX and they don't. Cancer is a high-tension situation and they should be much more sensitive to the needs of their patients. Vent over.
(David: I know you are going through the exact same thing. Hope you get results quickly)
PSA-- 3/08--2.90; 8/09--4.01; 11/09--4.19 (PSAf: 24%), PCA3 =75 .Biopsy 11/30/09. Gleason 4+3. Stage: T1C. Current Age: 64. Surgery: Dr. Menon @Ford Hospital, 1/26/10. Pathology Report: G 4+3. Nodes: Clear. PNI: yes. SVI: No. EPE: yes. Pos. Margin: Yes-- focal-- 1 spot .5mm. 100% continent by 3/10. ED- yes.. PSA on 3/10/10-: 0.01. PSA on 6/21/10--0.02. 9/21/10--0.06; 1/4/11-0.13,3/1/11--0.27