Hello to Purgatory from Nathan Roundy. I notice your PSA is rising after RRP and salvage radiation. The question is now what?
1. You can compute PSA doubling time here www.mskcc.org/mskcc/applications/nomograms_v2/PSADoublingTime.aspx
. It looks like you have fast doubling of 6-7 months and that is cause for concern.
2. Men with high risk diagnosis and fast doubling time have been shown to do better by early initiation of hormone blockade. The latest research seems to show intermittent hormone blockade is just as effective as continuous, with lower cost and side effects.
3. I maintain the patient outcomes database for Dr. Bob Leibowitz where we have a series of men with dangerous disease who are doing very well. Have a look at his paper compassionateoncology.org/pdfs/3-pronged-111908.pdf
4. Two papers out this year show Proscar and Avodart slow progression in men who are diagnosed; one about
men on active surveillance, and one about
men who failed local surgery or radiation. That new data should convince more doctors to proscribe Proscar or Avodart.
5. You can read a lot of good papers about
rising PSA, hormone therapy and other useful topics at the PCRI Papers web site www.prostate-cancer.org/pcricms/node/16
6. Pomegranate may lengthen doubling time. See the PCRI March 2011 Insights here www.prostate-cancer.org/pcricms/sites/default/files/PDFs/Is14-1.pdf
7. There are lots of options. If you want to discuss them, email me firstname.lastname@example.org or call 805 642 2297added clickable html to links
Post Edited By Moderator (James C.) : 5/19/2011 8:17:12 AM (GMT-6)