Thanks for the comments. I feel that the point of my post may have been unclear. I certainly appreciate the value of credentialed medical advice and supervision and I continue to seek out sound treatment options. I was actually trying to convey the problems associated with having to walk on eggs around your healthcare insurance provider when you're harboring a very serious disease and rolling up a heavy tab. I do nothing out of desperation. I'm optimistic and I'm trying very hard to keep this beast at bay. I believe that most of the doctors that I'm seeing would prefer to see me in ADT but I 've been trying to aviod this option by seeking out and participatin in evidence based clinical trials. Insurance companies monitor multi-trial participation and this will limit your resources unless you can occasionally eliminate the middleman. Trials employ complicated rhetoric but the plan is usually quite simple. "It's possible that this pill may benefit your condition. Take it for a short time and we'll see what happens." The trials that I seek judge their success or failure by PSA scores. The internet makes it possible to acquire what is necessary for participation. I've only tried this once and had what I believe a beneficial result but I'm researching others. Guys like us are always awash in touugh decisions. Hope I was somewhat better defined than my initial post. Best of Holiday guys.
11/08/08 annual checkup (3 yrs late) PSA 8.04 from previously 2.7 in 11/05
1/23/09 biopsy 12 cores positive, 10 cores Gleason 7, 2 cores Gleason 8 70% tumor
2/06/09 cat +bone scans clean ..
3/26/09 RRP surgery Post op path .. upgraded to Gleason 9 (5+4), seminal vesicles involved, several positive margins, 2 of 9 lymph nodes positive.
4/4/09 Dr. advising wait for significant rise in PSA and start hormonal treatment.
1st post op at 4 weeks PSA .6 urologist concerned
will retest in one month
8/15/09 bone and pelvic scans redone .. clean PSA .65
onc/radiologist recommending starting radiation treatments and 6 month shot of Lupron .. decided against this gameplan
9/11/09 consulting with med/onc today .. not impressed
My urologist now suggesting prostascint scan
Prostascint test done at U of Penna indicates cancer still confined to prostate bed.
PSA at .7
Gonna need a bigger boat .. found a good rad oncologist
10/21/09 Rad onc suggesting clinical trial of samarium 153 followed by IMRT
2/1/10 Samarium trial completed PSA 1.0
2/1/10 began IMRT 39 treatments 70 Gy
3/25/10 finished IMRT
4/28/10 PSA .93
7/23/10 PSA 1.2