Thanks for the additional responses. I know everyone's cases are different but it is very encouraging to read such positive outcomes. As I mentioneed, I'm off to the Uro tomorrow and have developed a list of questions. If you wouldn't mind talking a look, can you think of any additional that I should/shouldn't be asking? Coments? Suggestions?
1: On 4/29 we discussed the status and severity of my specific case. (Gleason-8, I didn’t realize just how bad that is) What are my chances of needing further RT or HT after surgery?
2: Last time, we discussed that surgery has the best probability of curing me. Surgery seems to be a no-brainer, but what about the chances recurrence? Is there less chance of recurrence if no nerve sparing is done? Is there any connection between sparing nerves and continence outcome or only ED? How does it recur if it is totally taken out? What about seminal vesicles or Lymph nodes? Take plenty…all you need!
3. Timing after Biopsy. (I’ve read 6-8 weeks between biopsy and surgery to allow for complete healing of the prostate yielding the best possible surgical outcome.) My surgery is scheduled @ 4 ½ weeks. Do you have any concerns about the timing?
4. In the Pathology report the Gleason Grade was a 4+3=7 yet there was a 4+4=8 with a GS=8? I actually had three positive samples on the left with: 3+3, 3+4, and 4+4 Are we sure this was read by a PC oncologist or might these numbers change for the worse post surgery. Would that effect the treatment decision?
5. 12 biopsy cores were taken and three were positive for cancer. What percent of each core was cancerous? How close to the margin (Peripheral border of the prostate) were the positive biopsies?
6. What did my Bone Scan indicate? We didn’t do a CAT scan or an MRI Scan. What would they show? Do you think there is any Seminal Vesicle involvement? If either of those were done and were positive would it change our treatment approach(i.e recommending surgery)?
7. What would you estimate are the chances that the cancer is contained within the prostate? (I understand that Doctors use the Partin Tables to make this assessment)
8. Does the plan for Unilateral nerve sparing on the right side carry any additional risks with one side spared? Can the cancer recur there?
9. How many of these procedures have you done?
10. Are there any other treatment options appropriate for me? Just read about HT shots prior to RPT?
11. What are the odds of needing RT after surgery? If needed, how does that change the prognosis and quality of life issue. What are the side effects?
12. What about the forms I needed completed for SL donations and FMLA?
13. If not contained, would you recommend Hormone treatments with radiation?
14. How long will it take for me to get the pathology report after surgery?
When will you take the staples out? Catheter removal X 2 weeks? Foley or SP?
15. TMH contacted me a bout a study and want my tissue samples aftyer surgery. OK or not?
Thanks again for the help and support. I do appreciate it!
Age 53-PSA 8/10 3.0 PSA 2/11 3.5
4/21/11 Path Report: 3 of 12 PCa, Left Lateral 3+3, Left Base 3+4, Left Mid 4+4; Path Grade-Gleason 4+3=7, % Tumor Involved: 5-10, Max linear extent core: 6 mm
4/29/11 PCa DX, GS-8
5/6/11 BS: Awaiting results
open RP Scheduled