Dan is correct when he says this is a tough read for someone with an upcoming biopsy.
My husband is scheduled for biopsy in a few weeks, and we are starting to hear conflicting information - and trying to decide if we should take more steps before jumping to the biopsy.
Husband is 40 yrs old and recently had a PSA test because his father was diagnosed with PCa after watchful waiting over several years (father is scheduled for surgery this month).
PSA was performed 3 days after DRE by family dr., and result was 5.25. Family Dr. stated that prostate felt enlarged. Husband was referred to Urologist.
Urologist says due to family history and elevated PSA that biopsy is warranted. His DRE was "normal." So biopsy is scheduled. Uro prescribed antibiotic for before and after procedure.
Here is where confusion comes in - a friend of the family is a Uro, and is adamant that husband take a 30 day course of antibiotics to clear up any possible infections and then re-test PSA. He is concerned about risks of spreading infection and causing more problems.
After reading the referenced article, and others like it we are left to wonder what the next step should be. Do the 30 days of antibiotics just in case (not for purposes of reducing PSA but for preventing infection), but still go through with the biopsy to rule out PCa?
Would the 30 days course of meds be any different than just taking the antibiotics the day before and after?
Husband still wants to know if he has cancer or not, and biopsy seems like the only option to know for sure - yet we don't want to risk complications.