I am Bianca, my father has PC and we are from Europe, I have joined this forum to understand my father's situation (62 years old), and to learn from other people's experiences.
My father was dx in 2004 with a PSA of 36, he immediately went to surgery his GS was 4+3 = 7
The pathology was pT3a M0 N0 so the doctors expected the PSA to drop to 0 although close to 0 never zero he had salvage Radiation 66Gy. he was on HT afterwards and this PSA was stable at some 0.4-0.5. Than the PSA form 2008 started to go upwards and in September 2008 it reached 5.3 which was scary for every one of us, the CT and the bone scan were clear.
The doctor suggested chemo and my father accepted it he tolerated it well and had an impact on the PSA it went down, he was under chemo from Sep - Dec 2009 when he stop the treatment the PSA would start rise again and than again in July 2010 he had one more cucle of chemo until september 2010. (I got scared how long could a person stay on chemo?!) Although he was doing just fine except the hair lose - it is very toxic. Since he stoped in September 2010 the psa started rising again and it started doubling every month. This is when we got really scared.
11/22/10 psa 0.7
12/20/10 psa 1.6
01/24/11 psa 3.2
02/13/11 psa 4.6
03/11/11 psa 8.8
In the meantime my father has had another infection that needed to be taken care of so the PC treatment was put on hold. I feared for the next reading which was a surprise to all the psa on 05/03/11 was 6.8 it has lowered by 2 points (the only thing that by father was doing was having fresh pomegranate) so a week later we did one more test just to make sure 05/09/11 and his psa was 6.1, we prolonged the treatment for 4 weeks to see how this new psa develops with a consult of the doctor and he is doing CT and bone scan in the beginning of June before the doctor's visit so they have all the results in front of them when they make a decision for further treatment. the CT and bone scan from last time 03/23/11 were negative - which is good.
I am now just wondering what options are there for further treatment, I have been searching but do not see any that could fit into my father's situation?
i wish you all the best,
Post Edited (James C.) : 5/23/2011 8:45:02 AM (GMT-6)