Doctor Consultations

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 79
   Posted 5/30/2011 1:55 PM (GMT -6)   
Well - it's close to decision time. I have two consultations scheduled for tomorrow; one with the top robotic surgeon in Chicago and the other with Dr. Catalona - one of the leading open procedure surgeons in the country. Hopefully, I'll get a good sense of which procedure will be best for me. I have some anxiety about the whole thing but I hope to be able to make the decision and schedule the surgery with the one who gives me the most confidence by tomorrow night. I'm kinda ready to get this whole thing over with...

Age 50
PSA 5.7
Biopsy 8 of 12, 6@3+3, 2@3+4
Probably having surgery in July

James C.
Veteran Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 4463
   Posted 5/30/2011 2:06 PM (GMT -6)   
Wheeler, welcome to the Forum, sounds like you are proceeding in an informed manner, so good luck.
James C, 64, East TN
Gonna Make Myself A Better Man
4/07: PSA 7.6, 7/07 Biopsy: 3 of 16 PCa, 5% inv, lf. lobe, GS6
9/07: Nerve Spar. open RP, Path: pT2c, 110 gms., clear except:
Prob. microscopic inv.-left apical margin -GS6
3 Years: PSA's .04 each test until 4/10-.06, 9/10-.09, 12/10-.09, 2/11-.08, 5/11-.08
Bimix .30

Veteran Member

Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 2680
   Posted 5/30/2011 2:41 PM (GMT -6)   
Wheeler, I'd be worried if  you said you didn't have some degree of anxiety about the whole situation.  Anxiety is aa very normal and expected reaction.  I get the impression, though, that you've been studying your options and have narrowed the choice to either robotic or open surgery.  I wish you all the best and hope you'll continue to post updates.

Elite Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 25393
   Posted 5/30/2011 2:45 PM (GMT -6)   

Welcome aboard. I had open surgery by choice, and can make good arguments for that type of treatment. Most of the surgery guys here had robotic. One thing we agree upon, is the method of surgery is second, to the experience level of the surgeon.
With as many positive cores as your biopsy indicates, and being dx. at Gleason 7, I believe surgery is a good fit for you, either variation.

Good luck as you come to your own decision. As clock said above, if you didn't have anxiety about the decision, we would be more worried. You will do fine.

David in SC

Say hello to the great city of Chicago
Age: 58, 56 dx, PSA: 7/07 5.8, 10/08 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/08 7 of 7 Positive, 40-90%, Gleason 4+3
open RP: 11/08, on catheters for 101 days
Path Rpt: Gleason 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% cancer, 1 pos margin
Incont & ED: None
Post Surgery PSA: 2/09 .05,5/09 .1, 6/09 .11. 8/09 .16
Post SRT PSA: 1/10 .12, 4/8 .04, 8/6 .06, 2/11 1.24, 4/11 3.81
Latest: 6 Corr Surgeries to Bladder Neck, SP Catheter since 10/1/9, SRT 39 Sess/72 gy ended 11/09, 21 Catheters, Ileal Conduit Surgery 9/10

Regular Member

Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 79
   Posted 5/30/2011 4:02 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks for the positive feedback and support. I will post a follow-up after my appointments tomorrow.
Age 50
PSA 5.7
Biopsy 8 of 12, 6@3+3, 2@3+4
Probably having surgery in July

Cajun Jeff
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 4119
   Posted 5/30/2011 4:24 PM (GMT -6)   
We will be waiting for your report from the 2 different points of view.

Best of luck on the decision process.

Cajun jeff
9/08 PSA 5.4 referred to Urologist
9/08 Biopsy: GS 3+4=7 1 positive core in 12 1% cancer core
10/08 Nerve-Sparing open radicalSurgery Path Report Downgrade 3+3=6 GS Stage pT2c margins clea
r3 month: PSA <0.1
19th month: PSA <0.1
2 year PSA <0.1
Only issue at this time is ED but getting better

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 2845
   Posted 5/30/2011 6:25 PM (GMT -6)   
wishing you all the best - take a note pad and a spouse ( or friend/buddy) you will be amazed how much you forget after the meeting(s).
-whatever treatment you choose - you have our support
Age:55 -gay with spouse of 14 years, Steve -Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
PSA:10/06/09 3.86
Biopsy:10/16/09- 2 of 12 cancerous, 5% involvement -Gleason 7 (3+4)
Radical Prostatectomy:11/18/09
Pathology:pT3a -Gleason 7 -extraprostatic extension -perineural invasion -prostate weight -34.1 gm
PSA:04/08/10 -0.05 -Zero Club
PSA:09/23/10 -0.05 -Zero Club
PSA:03/24/11 -0.02 -Zero Club
PSA:03/24/12- TBA

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2009
Total Posts : 1100
   Posted 5/30/2011 7:42 PM (GMT -6)   
Let us know how the meetings go, and what you think of the docs.  Dr. Catalona is among the most experienced in the country.  Sounds like you are following a smart path in dealing with this.  Best wishes, Medved

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 264
   Posted 5/30/2011 9:57 PM (GMT -6)   
There is a PC support group meeting in Westmont, IL this week, Wed. at
7:00 p.m.

If you're interested in learning more about PC you're welcome to join us.
location: Batavia, IL
dx age 57 2/2010 PSA 8.2
biopsy 2/2010 - 2 of 8 left & 2 of 8 right positive, Gleason 3+4=7
attended support group - advised to get a second opinion
second opinion on pathology from Johns Hopkins 4+4=8
PSA 15 4/2010
5 weeks IMRT 4/2010-6/2010 at Copley Hospital in Aurora, IL
91 palladium 103 seeds 7/2010 at Chicago Prostate Center, Westmont, IL
Oct 3.97
Dec 2.78
Mar 2.42
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:56 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,354 posts in 329,329 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161829 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, mrretired18.
191 Guest(s), 8 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
SantaZia, tickbite666, Skypilot56, Darla, Serfr, jmadrid, nakamura1967, Normal59