Can feel your anxiety, so this is just what we would do in this situation (same surgeon as you know)... In year 2 (2008) I asked Stricker this question at a consult, as there is a wonderful person here called "Swim" (a vet) who I had spoken to by email from first PSA when it went from 0.01 to 0.02 (and then for the last years like you went to 0.03). It was at the time CJ's went to 0.03 from a previous 0.02.
Swim had suggested that according to each individual some fluctuation from 0.02 to 0.04 may be a result of that gland which I can't pronounce, as well as lab variations - and that it is hard to tell but 0.02-0.04 could be a result of this (I hope I am para[phrasing her correctly but that was my understanding at the time). We saw Stricker after the 0.03 came back, and he labelled us "worry warts" (which I allowed him to just that once!) but he did take it seriously. He gave us his protocol (at the time that is - you'd have to check what it is now), and agreed to have the discussion again in person in the future, if we were to reach 0.04.
So what would we do if we were in your shoes now? Well... Maybe first, we would get the PSA repeated, just so you are sure it wasn't a callibration issue - Then we would probably email his main nurse who you would know (which will get passed onto Stricker before she replies to any questions). Then we would probably wait for her reply, and re-test again in 3-6 months. That's stressful, and he would probably say wait 6 months, but since it could be a normal fluctuation, or could be a rise - that way you could perhaps monitor it). That way he will know you are onto it, and that you have concerns - even if he doesn't in your case.
That way also, if you come down to the big chill (Sydney) in the next 3-6 months, you should be able to get into see him on a Thursday when he sees post ops. Remember his commitment to follow-up - this is the time you need either reassurance or a plan from him - We would insist on it, but that's just us (and I believe if doctors say they will follow-up for life, they then have to follow through - even if it is all OK in the end).
Just a few ideas Kev. I am no expert as you well know. Let us know how you go, and try to take a deep breath. There are several guys here with 0.04 and 0.05 readings from time-to-time. Anyway, I am sure this does not make it any easier, but good luck and let us know what you decided. Lana & CJ
Creed_three (Lana) - with husband "CJ" now aged 53 yrs (49 years at diagnosis). PSA (2006) 3.5. 1 x 5% core of 12 positive at biopsy (Gleeson 7).
open Radical Prostatectomy with nerve sparing April 2007 Sydney, Australia. Gleeson 3 + 4 = 7. Small multifocal lesions contained within prostate. Current PSA February 2011 = 0.03 (unchanged in 3 years)