MSK nomogram and HT

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

dkob131
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 364
   Posted 6/11/2011 10:23 PM (GMT -6)   
I would guess that all of us are somewhat familar with the MSK nomogram, when I was first diagnosed I kept entering my stats hoping my percentage chance of cure would change for the better but for some reason it stayed the same for my inital treatment.  My inital treatment failed obvoiusly and back to the nomogram I went to study my chances with SRT, my chance of a cure(six years with no disease) with just SRT were gauged at 38% Ughhhhh! Then I reentered my stats and checked the "Neoadjuvant Hormone" box and I was blown away by the difference.  Now my chance of a cure was gauged at 62%.
 
The difference was a whopping 24% better chance of a cure with Hormones added.
 
I think that we can all agree that the MSK nomogram is a useful tool that not only patients use but I know  I have sat in my Drs. office and he has brought it up for one reason or another.  I believe at a minimum a Dr. should be able to explain why he doesn't recommend HT with SRT when the percentages change so much when HT is added.
The standard anwer  of "there is no evidence HT helps" is staring them right in the face.
 
The publications that the MSK nomogram is based off of is listed on their site.  It is extensive.
 
Obviously the percentage chance of cure rises significantly for high risk patients which sadly for me I fall into that category.
 
This post is not meant to draw a line between HT guys and nonHT guys, it is hopefully something that guys might speak with their Dr. about.
 
David
 
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:49 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,630 posts in 329,243 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161789 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, edwoolman.
223 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
edwoolman