Just thought I'd give a quick update on my proton beam therapy at Upenn.
I just finished my second (of 7 1/2 total) week, and everything is going great!
- no pain
- treatments last about 20 minutes start/finish
- facility and staff are top notch and professional
- the femaile radiation therapists are very cute
- my job has been incredibly supportive of my treatment plan
- getting a balloon in your rectum every day is a bit uncomfortable
- getting a balloon in your rectum every day by attractive therapists is a bit embarassing
- commuting from NYC to Philly on Amtrak daily is a bit of a drag and slightly $$
- slide extra pressure required to urinate during first week. Most likely do to slight swelling in my prostate from healing of fiducial markers and balloon agitation
- above side effect now gone after 2nd week
- that's it!
Overall I'm quite pleased w/the process and the team at UPenn. I'll update you again in a few week.
In good health,
Age 42 at Dx
PSA 2/11 of 5.6
Biopsy 3/11 5 pos out of 12.
4 Gleason 6's (3+3) and one 7 (3+4)
completely altered my diet, full vegetarian - 4/11
Full bone scan 4/11 - neg
Pelvic CT 4/11 - neg
approved for proton beam radiation at UPenn - 6/11
awaiting insurance approval for above - 6/11
staying positive - always