First of all, guys, thanks a lot for all the support and great insight.
This past ten days have been a roller coaster for my family and I was able to be somewhat of a safe harbor thanks to all the knowledge I got here.
I'll never be able to fully thank you for your support.
Six days after the exam that had that PSA of 19 it fell to 6.9 and the PSA/PSAf relation was 0.08, my dad took another exam about
three days later and the results came in today, the PSA fell to 4.3 and the PSAf was 0.53 (0.12 relation). So it was 19 about
ten days ago and right now it is 4.3, and I guess that is a good enough value for a 64 year old man. Between the second (6.9) and third (4.3) exams my dad took some antibiotics to see if the value would fall. It kind of did, right? I mean, three days isn't a long time, but it still fell, I guess.
Thing is, the doctor didn't prescribe any antibiotics and wanted to do the biopsy instead, and my dad has a history of not healing very well or very quickly from medical procedures, and he has a very low threshold of pain.
And that's where I need your help and opinions again:
With Christmas and New Year's Eve around the corner it doesn't feel like a very good idea to have the procedure. I mean, it doesn't look mandatory or necessary to me.
With such a fall in PSA, one of his doctors said cancer has been pretty much ruled out, specially with no symptoms. Also, would the PSA fall about
15 points in 10 days if it was cancer? From what I've read on the internet and here, it doesn't seem likely.
Of course, that's my opinion. The biopsy is schedule to the 21rst, and my dad hasn't decided yet if he should do it. I'm totally against it from what I've learned in the past ten days. What's your take?
Remember that PSA is an indicator of 'something' happening. It may not be PCa. A PSA that goes up that quickly may be result of an infection which has nothing to do with PCa.
I expect that the doctor may prescribe a course of antibiotics to see if it falls again.
Not to panic.
142, I was hoping for that... It even seems to be the right course of action to me, much less invasive than doing a biopsy.
Just wanted to send you positive energy, wishing your dad the best.
Thanks a lot, bestdadever! It means a lot :)
Worried Guy said...
My PSA was 17.8 When they did the retest after 2 weeks of antibiotics it was 22. My lab could not do a free PSA with a PSA above 15.
Hopefully a course of antibiotics will fix it. Let us know.
Good luck to both of you.
Worried Jeff, thanks!
I read on your signature you had an biopsy, how was it? My dad is worried it might hurt and bleed, and he has never dealt well with pain.
br />I don't remember ever coming across such a rapid rise in three months, from a low normal # to 19, that was due to aggressive prostate cancer. My guess is most likely due to prostatitis. A course of antibiotics will find out quick enough.
Hey Newporter, I believe the huge fall in PSA pretty much confirms it's not cancer, do you agree? It really looks like prostatitis right now, doesn't it?
The Water Guy said...
My PSA last year rose from 3.5 to 5.25 in 3 months and my URO thought for sure I had prostatitis and put me on 3 weeks of antibiotics which changed nothing and the rest is history. I agree with most here that the huge rise in your dad's PSA has to be anomaly and hopefully not cancer.
Good luck and let us all know what happens next.
Hey there, Terry, sorry to hear you got it the hard way.
Did you have any symptoms? Did you do a biopsy?
Thanks for sharing.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
The answer may be with your father.
A spick in PSA that great could be a cause of prostate
manipulations on the day before drawing blood. Sex the night before, **********
or even riding a bike can cause huge rises of PSA.
Thanks, Baptista, after reading your post I talked to him and, oh well, he didn't do any of the mentioned recently. We have a very
open and frank relationship, so I'm sure he wouldn't lie to me.
But thanks for the hint, that's a great piece of knowledge that normally doesn't get shared.
Again, thanks for everyone for the kind words and stories.
Hope you can help me with the biopsy decision...
Post Edited (charlie52) : 12/19/2011 11:49:38 AM (GMT-7)