Ziggy, I've read previous posts where you talk about
the TFT procedure you had and your descript
ion of yourself as perhaps the most successfully treated guy on the site. I'm sure that's true and I'm glad for you, but I wonder what the criteria were that led to your being treated in that way?
Just asking because such a treatment would have never worked in my case. The initial 12-core biopsy found cancer in the left lobe, but nothing in the right. Subsequent pathological examination after surgery found threads of cancer on the right side as well, though the primary tumor was, indeed, on the left.
I can't imagine that even the latest color doppler imagery can guarantee that the cancer is all concentrated in one tumor in one particular
location of the prostate. My understanding has been that prostate cancer usually is multi-focal, and thready throughout the gland. Maybe a separate thread explaining how that was all determined in your case would be worthwhile and very interesting.
In the meantime, let me just say that Davidg's experience may not be typical, but it is what it is and he certainly is not alone. It's a side of the PCa experience that I think deserves to be available to those new to the forum. Things aren't all gloom and doom. I have the SE side effect and can't say I'm happy about
it, but I also have said before that I think it's unrealistic to expect ANY cancer treatment, or really any major surgery, to be without side effects. To forego screening and treatment because there may be side effects seems like an unrealistic attitude and a very bad idea to me.
To qualify for TFT one needs to undergo a 3D mapping saturation biopsy. A link below will show you how it's done. You have to be low risk and the last I recall about
55% pass and go on to TFT while the other 45% have more widespread PCa than thought and are urged to go to more aggressive traditional treatments. I'm back to add a few things. Of course even with many cores PCa can still be missed on the microscopic level. The success rate of TFT I was told is about
90% now of 500+ cases. It's also why the study had me do two annual normal biopsies post treatment. Originally they were supposed to be mapping biopsies too. Whew!!! glad they weren't 45 needles was sore afterward. Now I'm just doing an annual exam and psa. http://3dprostate.com/videos/mapping-biopsy.html
Yeah I know Dave's experience are likely valid, but I notice when he starts using the word "tons" it a clue he's pulling facts out of his ass again. He also believes we all should be cheerleaders here only. While support is fine most guys come here for answers and knowledge and a need for the facts. Not primarily for pep squad replies.
Diagnosed 11/08/07 - Age: 58 - 3 of 12 @5%
Psa: 2.3 - 3+3=6 - Size: 34g -T-2-A
2/22/08 - 3D Mapping Saturation Biopsy - 1 of 45 @2% - Psa:2.1 - 3+3=6 - 28g after taking Avodart - Catheter for 1 day -Good Candidate for TFT(Targeted Focal Therapy) Cryosurgery(Ice Balls) - Clinical Research Study
4/22/08 - TFT performed at University of Colorado Medical Center - Catheter for 4 days - Slight soreness for 2 weeks but afterward life returns as normal
7/30/08 - Psa: .32
11/10/08 - Psa.62 -
April 2009 12 of 12 Negative Biopsy
2/16/10 12 of 12 Negative Biopsy
Post Edited (Ziggy9) : 2/29/2012 11:03:22 AM (GMT-7)