well I was wishing for info, and I got it, but it's pretty bad. The bone scan shows cancer in many places -- spine, ribs, femur, humerus, pelvis. The CT also showed large lymph nodes.
This was an after-hours call from a urologist I've never met before. It turns out the official doctor is out all week. The dr. who called recommends HT, starting tomorrow (!). He says radiation or surgery would not help, but would diminish quality of life.
So he wants to start my husband on casadex for a few weeks, as a warm-up for lupron.
I'm worried about starting a regimen tomorrow when I don't know everything I should know -- we have yet to see a medical oncologist, for example. I worry that maybe there's a better treatment option but by starting a drug maybe we'd be ineligible for it (like if the best hope is in a clinical trial). I raised this concern, and the doctor agreed it was a risk but reiterated that this was a very serious situation and delaying was also risky.
He would not give me any estimate of time. I know it all depends on how my husband responds to the HT, but still, I wish I knew a range of options. It seems like they ought to be able to say, worst case, his cancer doesn't respond to HT and he could die in X months, or on the other hand, HT could keep it at bay for Y years. I truly don't know at all what could happen here. If any of you can help, let me know. (I know you may not want to say it, but I called myself infohound for a reason, knowing helps me.)
I'm thinking I'd delay at least one day (I assume one day can't really make a difference, can it?), make a ton of calls and then hopefully be better informed to decide. Does anyone have a POV on the likelihood that there could be some great option we'll close ourselves out of by starting the casadex?
Also, would you use firmagon instead? The dr. mentioned that as an option, said it works more quickly, but requires more frequent shots. He seemed neutral as to which would be the better solution. Thoughts?
I'm sorry to ask for so much when I'm brand new. In the future I hope to do some giving, but for now, I'm just taking, taking, taking. Thank you all, this forum feels like such a life saver
And sorry for not having posted all the info you need before -- yes, he is 58. He looks like a healthy person (although he has gotten skinny lately, now of course we know why), but he does also have an arthymia and is on a blood thinner, in case that matters to your point of view on starting the HT.
HT sounded good to me as far as not suffering the way you do with chemo and stuff, but we definitely want to be aggressive if there is something more aggressive out there. He likes living, and we have 10-, 9- and 6-year-old boys. I know, I know -- three boys, now all with increased risk for this.