Hi everyone - I'm back with a new thread. A brief history of my information-gathering journey after getting the news that I have PCa:
Definite rollercoaster ride - my initial reaction was for surgery to get this thing the hell out of me, to deluging myself with data to the point of paralysis by analysis, which included all of the side effects of surgery that scared the living hell out of me, to then thinking (and now thinking that perhaps I was 'hoping') that Brachy was the right thing to do - to now trying to get my head around this latest turn of back to surgery being the option based on input received from my urologist that did the biopsy, the 2nd opinion from Dr. See / open surgeon, to a third opinion from Dr. Lawton / head of R.O.
My issue is this - at the top the potential SE's of surgery really, really bother me. I feel like I'm right smack in the middle of what my decision should be: because of my age and health I'm a great candidate for surgery - with the counterpoint being that because of my young age I don't want to have to have a QOL that sucks.
More details regarding Dr. See, who I am considering going to for Nerve Sparing open RRP if that's the path I decide:
> 1,000 RRP's performed
Average time in surgery is 2-3 hours
Need for transfusion <1%
Average time in hospital post-op is 1.5 days
Continence rate is 97%
No ED issues = 80% if both side nerves are saved, 40% if one saved, 10% if neither saved.
I have a call in to get absolute clarification on a few things: how many of the RRP's were nerve sparing, defining continence rate - is continence defined as no pads, no dribble, or? Same goes for ED issues, does this mean 80% no ED with no help, ie drugs, etc., or?
I do realize every case is different, but I am off to get the level of specificity that I feel I need before I make my ultimate decision.
For those of you that have seen my posts before I have updated my signature line to include MO, NO, negative DRE's as well as gland size 40 gm and TRUS volume 22 gm.
55 years old, excellent health (up until this. . . .) diagnosed with PCa early July 2012
NO symptoms or signs of PC
PSA rose from 3.8 to 5.8 over past 3 years
8 of 12 Gleason: 3+3 <5%, 3+3 <5%, 3+3 <5%, 3+3 <5%, 3+4 5-10%, 3+4 <5%, 3+4 5-10%, 3+4 30-40%, 3+4 15-20% (All negative for perineural invasion)
Negative DRE (3in the past 4 months)
Gland size 40gm