I am on this forum because my neighbor was just diagnosed with prostrate cancer but in addition my husband was diagnosed in 2001. I am going to give you in summary how our journey went and although things (robotic surgery) have changed since then it might help you in your decision.
My husband was 45 when diagnosed. His PSA had risen from 9 to 14 in a year but after 2 biopsys they couldn't find any cancer cells. My husband wanted surgery anyway since his PSA continued to rise. The doctor did one final biopsy and found the cancer. I don't really recall any of the scores or how many cores they found it in. ( I think his gleason was 6).
We both decided on surgery immediately mostly because of his age. The surgery was done within a month of diagnosis by his doctor. It was not done by robot but by the surgeon himself. I was told that if when they got in there and the cancer had spread outside to the lymph nodes they would close him up and have to do radiation instead. Luckily for us it had not spread and the surgery was done. This was in 2001.
He had 6 week recovery time. After recovery he had no after effects at all and I mean none...
Forward to 2008...his PSA started to rise a tiny bit and my husband of course started freaking out as was I . He went for several opinions and to see an excellent radiologist. Before starting radiology he had a prostanctint (sp) scan done. It was not a bone scan but a scan of your entire body to look for hot spots (cancer cells). They found a tiny cell in the prostrate bed and the decision was made to have a course of radiology.
He now has an undetectable PSA and the doctors feel he is cured and that there are no other cells floating around in his body. Of course nothing is certain but we feel good about the chances.
I am not sure any of this helps you as it has been a long time since we went through all this but we are totally 100 percent certain we made the correct decision to do the surgery.
We are now helping our neighbor through his decision making although he has different circumstances.
I know others have said to wait a few months but we did find that my husband had a very agressive cancer which we didn't know until the pathology report came back. So for us to do the surgery immediately was the correct choice.
I still recall the emotions and fear that went along with this entire process. You can PM me if you would like....I hope I helped you some.