Posted 11/9/2012 5:33 PM (GMT -7)
FRIDAY EVENING UPDATE
Looks like my wife will be getting 2 consultations with 2 different neuro-surgeons, before any treatment decision(s) are made. Right now, the thinking is to avoid surgery unless the doctors feel the damage is too severe, and to try less invasive methods, at least at first, to alleviate some or most of the pain.
She has been out of work for two full weeks now, but she is managing to the most important part of her job as the Scheduling Nurse for her facility from home, via internet/e-mail/phone. It's helping them, and helping her head, of course to keep her mind active.
Her new doctor, which will be her PCP from now on, is a real angel. Once the dr got the seriousness of her MRI scan from the scan doc, she quickly switched meds for her, and now, while the pain is there, it is being controlled much better than ever before. After she sees the neuro docs, I would imagine they may to choose to adjust her meds once again once they fully evaluate the damage.
She can get around the house in short bursts, with cane. But mostly in bed. I am doing all the cooking, cleaning, washing, etc. I bring her all her meals, and help her with her bathing and personal stuff. Now that she is doing a little bit better, starting to take some of the pressure off of me. I won't lie, that first week, I was having to do everything, including supporting her weight, and trying to get by on 2-3 hours of sleep. We are passed that crisis point for now, thank God. I couldn't have taken much more of that, as it greatly increased my incessant pain and fatigue to near the panic point some days. Felt like I was a walking zombie.
For a treat tommorow, since we are having a sunny day in the lower 70s, going to take her for a short drive in the mountains to get her out of the house and into the fresh air. The seats in my Lincoln are both heated and air conditioned, so it will help keep her comfortable. Kind of thinking about a 1 1/2 hour loop if she can take it. If not, at any one point, we will never be more than 20-30 minutes from home. I think that will be good for her.
We are doing the best we can, as usual, we work everything as a team. We apprecaite every kind word, all the good suggestions, and even the prayers offered by some. This getting old part is no fun. But things could be worse.
David in SC
Age: 60, 56 at PC dx, PSA 16.3
3rd Biopsy: 9/8 7 of 7 Positive, 40-90%, 4+3
open RP: 11/8, Catheter in 63 days
Path Rpt: 3+4, pT2c, 42g, 20% tumor, 1 pos margin
Incont & ED: None
Surgery Failed, recurrence within 9 months
Salvage Radiation 10/9-11/9, SRT failed within 9 months, PSA 4/12 = 37.x
Spent total of 1 ½ years on 21 catheters, Ileal Conduit Surgery 9/10,
7 other PC-related surgeries
Member of Prostate Cancer & Chronic Pain HW Communities since 10/2008
“I live in the weak and the wounded” – Session Nine (Movie)