I have started a new thread here as I kind of feel we are in a new and different phase.
For those not familiar with my husband's story, the signature should capture its essence.
We had our second opinion yesterday and it was very worthwhile. We will not be returning to this doctor, not because we didn't like him but because he wants us to localize our treatment more. He is about
an hour and a half away.
The take-aways from this were that while he thought our current onc has followed the standards of treatment, he questions the treatment course this year which began with zytiga, then taxotere, and now MDV3100. All in a year. He questions that my husband was taken off the treatments too soon but more what was that decision based upon? Just PSA? He doesn't see the CTScans as the baseline and then the follow ups in these treatments. He does not consider just the PSA but how the patient feels and what the cancer is actually doing. In my husband's case, the cancer has presented itself in the lymph nodes, not bone. He says that that is an important marker: what is happening to the lymph tumors with each treatment? Are they getting bigger or smaller? He advises a baseline scan, followed by a scan every 3 to 4 months. This has NOT been done in my husband's case and that is the question. Why was he pulled off the zytiga and even the taxotere so quickly?
I think he was in a difficult professional position where he was trying to consider our current doctor's decisions as
openly as possible but the bottom line is he HAS moved very quickly. We have felt this all along but didn't know how to verbalize this. Now we do. The second opnion guy is going to send a letter to our current onc as well as our onc in Boston about
this. We are going to get a copy.
If in fact we are losing trust in our current onc we need to find another. But even more the 2nd opinion guy encourages us to localize treatment: find an onc even closer to where the current one is (45 mins away). Ask the Boston onc for recommendations and consider the Boston onc the "boss". He's worked with him and thinks the world of him.
So we are on track for a scan in early Jan and another PSA with our current onc. By that time he will have gotten the letter from the second opinion and we will have much to talk about
He also gave us a lot of hope. He can think of 2 or 3 other standard treatments that could be use. AND there is the possibility of going back on zytiga if that becomes appropriate. As well as taxotere.
His concern was that by running through all of these treatments so quickly just brings up the short end of the stick that much sooner and he doesn't think my husband is at the end of the line at all!
So the biggest take-away for us and maybe others is that there has to be more than a rising PSA to stop a treatment and that any treatment unless it is hurting the patient should be given a fair run.
We are feeling resolved and optimistic. Can we beat this crap? You bet!
Hubby, dx 2002, age 50
PSA 6.8 Gleason 7 (4+3)
Surg Jan 2003
G7pT3c perineural involve., sem. ves., neg. margins
2005 rising PSA
2006 RT, HT
2008 Cas, Zometa
PSA Dec. 2011 20.2
2012 Zytiga PSA March 2012 14
March 30 - PSA 18, some lymph node tumor growth
April - stopped zytiga, begin Taxotere PSA 20
Taxotere: 4/30, 5/21, 6/11, PSA 30
MDV3100 11.75, 26, 36
Post Edited (nhwife) : 12/1/2012 6:05:04 PM (GMT-7)