Possible more aggressive moves:
• Independent oncologists can give you more options, are willing to try things outside the guidelines, and have some personal history with seeing how it works.
o Snuffy Myers’ book helped me a lot to get out of the ‘standard’ mindset (though some of his book is outdated)
o Scholz/Lam and others have a lot of good videos on the PCRI website prostate-cancer.org/
• There are drugs that can be used early/off label to better kill the cancer. I was on Zytiga, even though FDA says not until after Lupron fails.
• More than one doctor … keeps everyone on their toes.
• Radiation used aggressively to go after lymph nodes.
• Surgery to go after lymph nodes (Snuffy Myers book talks about
this; Southern Comfort had 14 removed!)
• Dr. Kwon at Mayo specializes in cases that other people can’t solve. He deals mostly with those who have failed standard treatments. He has some neat scans and drugs at his disposal.
2006 PSA 1.1
6/9/12 PSA 36.3
7/2/12 DRE 1 lobe Age Dx 49
7/2/12 biopsy G9 12 of 12 plus 2 on SV
7/9/12 Bone scan 0 CT multiple nodes T3cN3M0
7/13 Lymph node biopsy confirms, started Casodex
7/24 PSA 21.3 Started Lupron
8/14 PSA 0.4 Started Zytiga 10/22 PSA 0.4 11/13 PSA 0.20
11/26 -- 1/9/13 Cone Down IMRT lymph nodes
12/26/12 Stopped Zytiga (cost)
1/15/13 PSA 0.2 3/27/13 PSA 0.033!!