Sorry for the positive biopsy but at G6 it is the earliest stage measured so the prognosis for cure is very good. I hope I'm not overstepping and I mean the following comments with all due respect to what ultimately must be your husband's decision. I fully understand the emotion involved with the mentality that says, "get it out". Quite frankly that was my wife's inclination until we fully educated ourselves on my disease. Getting it out may ultimately be the right decision for your husband but I would sincerely urge the two of you to get yourselves fully educated on this disease before making a final decision -- one that can truly be life changing. Specifically, I would urge the following:
1. Make sure the biopsy samples have been re-read by a pathologist who is an expert in PCa, e.g. Epstein or Bostwick. Assessing prostate cancer pathology involves considerable art as well as science and you deserve to have the best information that is available.
2. While you are getting a second biopsy opinion, you should consider having the slides examined by a lab that uses advanced prognostication techniques (e.g. Prostyvision at Bostwick) to assess the cancer aggressiveness and long term prognosis.
3. Read, read and read about the cancer. There are two excellent books that I can recommend to you. One is, "Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer" by noted surgeon Patrick Walsh. The other is, "Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers" by noted prostate oncologist Mark Scholz. Reading these two books will give you a broad perspective.
4. While it seems you are clearly leaning towards surgery, you and your husband owe it to yourselves to examine other curative alternatives. Based on his listed stats, he would seem to be a good candidate for brachytherapy. You seem to be within a reasonable distance of one of the most highly respected brachytherapy centers, the Chicago Prostate Institute. Brachytherapy is as equally curative as surgery but the side effects are generally considerably less onerous. At least you should examine this alternative before making a final decision.
5. It seems from your posting that you are taking a significant (lead?) role in this decision. That's great. My wife was a great partner in helping me assess the possibilities and sharing in the decision. But, at the end of the day, I hope you remember that it's your husband's body and he is the one who will benefit or suffer from the decision. So, very respectfully, I urge you to make sure he is fully involved in the decision. I'm sure the last thing you want is him to say that you talked him into something, especially if it doesn't go as well as hoped.
In any case I wish you two the best in your decision making. I sincerely hope you will try to separate the emotional reactions from the logical ones and focus on making an educated decision.
Best of luck,
Age 62 (66 now), G 3 + 4 = 7, T1C, PSA 4.2, 2/16 cancerous, 27cc. Brachytherapy 12/9/08. 73 Iodine-125 seeds. Procedure went great, only minor discomfort. Everything continues to function normally as of 11/2/12. PSA: 6 mo: 1.4, 1 yr: 1.0, 2 yr: .8, 3 yr: .5, 4 yr: .2. My docs are "delighted"! My journey: