As I reported here, I was enjoying my HT vacation and I thought I had more time.
But in 4 months, my PSA went from 0.04 to 1.80, a 45-fold increase.
I had my conference with Dr. Lam. Since my PSA result, we got my T-score result. That had also gone up, from 10 (when my PSA was undetectable) to 140 and now to 205. That is actually VERY good news, as it means my PC is highly T-sensitive. If my PSA had gone up and the T had not, that would be signs of it getting hormone refractory.
So, I should still respond well to HT and he said to prepare to get back on Casodex/Lupron, probably in December. BUT, he did recommend I do the C-11 Choline scan at Mayo. I would have to do it before getting back on HT. So, I have been consulting with my insurance company. It turns out that Mayo is actually in-network. The test itself will require pre-authorization, but it would probably get approved.
I then checked with Dr. Kwon at Mayo. I had emailed with him before and he indicated they might need a month lead-time which would be perfect. Unfortunately, Mayo scheduling says they are now into late-January. So, the last is that they will see what they could do. I can't wait that long. Dr. Lam wants me to get back on HT sooner than that. Anyway, that's where we are. Incidentally, Dr. Lam indicated that we could just skip the C-11 as the HT will probably work well to where I get another HT vacation in a year or so. We can then revisit that scan thing.
Very frustrating, dealing with one beauracracy after another.
In fact, here's the crazy thing: My insurance first wanted the CPT code for the procedure. They said I can call Mayo. Mayo said they can't give it to me until I am there and the doctor orders it. WHAT???!!!! Crazy. If, in fact, my decision was determined by whether or not my insurance would cover it, that would be ultra crazy to go there and then have to decline if my insurance didn't like the CPT code. The test is probably about $8000.
Hey, Sonny, is this another f-bonus day!!!????
(I am chuckling, by the way!)