Hi, there-- I'm hoping to get some advice (for my dad); and thank you for this forum, it's been a great source of advice and comfort while we were waiting for his scans to come back-- so thank you!
My dad is 70, in relatively good health, and was just diagnosed with PC. His PSA has risen from a 3 to a 4 to a 6.7 over the last 3 years. He was referred to a urologist and his biopsy came back with a Gleason score of 8 (4+4), which we understand puts him a high risk category (even with the relatively low PSA score).
His CT, bone and PET scan came back clean today-- all cancer is (thankfully!) seemingly contained to the prostate. He has the option of either surgery (robotic, performed by Dr Patel in Orlando, who has performed over 9000 surgeries) or a combination of radiation and hormone therapy. His oncologist indicated that either course of treatment has an equal chance of success, but the data/studies (a meta-analysis of 19 studies in Canada, a study from UCSF and one from Sweden; once I'm on my laptop, I am happy to share links, if need be) that I've seen indicates that surgery is advisable, especially for high risk patients.
I realize that no one can tell us what the right decision is, but I would absolutely welcome any and all advice and opinions on things we should be aware of and points to consider. Thank you again for all of the help, it's great appreciated!
Post Edited (ellysbelly) : 5/2/2016 9:53:20 PM (GMT-6)