Posted 9/23/2016 12:22 AM (GMT -6)
I am so aware of the emotional and physical roller coaster you and Chris are riding. I was almost hoping Gary would make that decision when he could only eat a bite or two of food for several days. Then a battle with thrush, and now fighting a UTI. His PSA rose 100 points to almost 800 and he weighs only 109 lbs. But he chose to have his chemo and lupron on Tuesday because he has felt good and eaten well for past several days.
I guess what I want to convey is that while Chris has certainly taken a he'll of a beating lately, his psa is still pretty darn low and he may start feeling a whole lot better and want to give tx another go in a month or even several months.
When Gary stopped the pilot clinical trial in Portland, he told the doc there the same thing. He wanted to spend the remaining time he had living, not traveling to Portland for tx. That was 16 months ago, but he has continued trying repeat tx with our local MO. A lot of the tx he has undergone have ha very minimal SEs, and have likely made him feel good enough to have had many, many good days.
Please don't think I'm trying to get you to plead with Chris to change his mind. Just consider exploring what other treatments might be available once he gets past this awful battle with colitis and may want to consider a treatment for palliation rather than intervention.
You indicated that the cancer is aggressive. Do you know if Chris has been tested or if it's suspected that it has mutated to a more aggressive neuroendocrine type of cancer?
I have been following your every post, as I feel such a kinship to you and your situation. I only wish you both more very good, good days to enjoy each other's companionship and love as Chris regains his strength.
Keeping you in thoughts and prayers for comfort and peace.