The sad thing is, none of these drugs and treatments will result in a cure..They will just hold the Grim Reaper at bay for a few years longer, if you are lucky..With a PSA of 5.3, you are not moving closer to ADT, you are there...
Fairwind, I hear your concerns. I’m not bothered by waiting to start treatment. QOL is very important to me. My current MO, and my previous MO, were both of the opinion that starting treatment early doesn’t gain much, if anything, on survival. I would have preferred the traditional treatment strategy, which I have understood to be first line ADT, then second line ADT such as Zytiga, then chemo when nothing else works.
Matt, I've always felt a sort of kinship with you as we have followed similar paths... same T3b, G8, 20+ PSA. So I'm wondering why your Uro or RO never put you on ADT earlier? Was it never brought up or did you decline HT because of the SE's ? You have stated a preference for QOL, but personally I most fear BR and being faced with decisions such as you are now pondering.
In this battle we are confronted by uncomfortable decisions at every turn, often unexpectedly. And I certainly understand your desire to plan ahead and consider the what-if's, but as with Fairwind, find myself wondering why you are not on HT already... or did I miss something?
2014-15: PSA's 9, 12, 20, 25... Neg DRE, Neg TRUS biopsy
6/16: MRI Fusion biopsy, Right Base, 2x40%+2x100% all G8 (4+4)
8/16: DaVinci RP, 6mm EPE, PNI, 25% G4, BL SVI, stage T3B N0M0
1/17: started 18 months Lupron ADT, PSA's ~.03
5/17: AMS800 AUS implanted, revised 5/30
39 tx RapidArc IMRT (70 Gy) Aug-Oct 2017
Age 67, recently retired to Florida 'just in time'