Thank you, Bill! I was actually able to, or made myself get around to, talking with the Father of my previous employee, now friend, who went through this 6 years ago. At the time, he elected to have the (open) radical prostatectomy, as was the advice of his Urologist then.....who was assisted by my current Urologist. Other than the fact that he was 46 when diagnosed, his numbers/stats are very close to my own. In his case, he went through the surgery without much trouble. Incontinence and ED were minimal, (i.e., required a reasonable recovery period without too much negative impact on QOL) and while everyone's case may vary, he did very well.
Now, before everyone tells me to slow down, lol, this doesn't mean that I have decided on anything just yet. It was just encouraging to hear a success story regarding that particular procedure. I am still doing my due diligence, researching, and after a conversation with my wife last night, have decided to get through the scans, talk to my current Urologist at length, ask him more difficult questions (for him) and see what input (or reactions) he has to offer. The way I see it, while he is a very kind man and a reputable Doctor, his responses and reactions will better define his commitment to MY well being, or his. I am also seeking a second opinion, but am not quite sure whether to interview another Uro/Surgeon, a Uro/oncologist, or both...But like you have all said, I have time. Plenty of time.
Now, if you would all like to send my wife an e-mail reiterating this, I would be very appreciative, lol. No, she's been great through all of this. She is just concerned, as am I.
The interview tour is crtical. I'm glad you're confronting your uro with tough questions. My uro told me and I quote, "I know a guy." when he was trying to sell me on surgery. That's a phrase you're good with when you need your car fixed not put your life/future on the line based upon. There's referral kickbacks involved so that's something to keep in mind when you're getting them. Be your own surgeon/radiation seeker. Find the guys in your area or elsewhere with the reputation you're comfortable with.
Anyone who might perform a procedure on you should talk to you personally about
your concerns before you commit. I had an opportunity to speak with a well-reputed radiation doc. I ruled him out because he didn't sound confident he could "cure" me. I did the second opinion tour and thanks to a friend I got into see someone that normally took months to see at UT Southwestern in Dallas. He and I went over a number of things...he showed me raw numbers of likelihood of success broken down in percentages (67% I live my life out... 33% I wouldn't) and presented options. I pressed him on what he would do and he said the best bet was to do surgery because you can follow that with radiation if need be but you can't do it the other way around. 2 options to save my life sounded better than one, so I chose surgery. I wish I could go back and do watchful waiting/active surveillance but I was told that was no option.
Also, I don't know if I'm unique in this but I chose to get on a plane and fly 5 states away to have my procedure at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and I live in Texas. I felt in my heart that was what I needed to do. Put ALL options on the table and you'll find peace for one of them.
I don't know if things have changed, but I know after I had my biopsy, it was 6 weeks before they could do surgery. I had surgery on Day 43 post-biopsy. So, when people say you have time you literally have a full 6 weeks unless things have changed since 2013 IF you choose surgery.