I have wondered about
this myself. Shortly after starting my Proton Tuesday, November 18, 2014, we were scheduled for Thanksgiving break the following week. The 18th was a Tuesday, so I had 4 treatments before the weekend break. I was scheduled to have 4 more treatments before the long TG break, beginning on Sunday-Wednesday before TG.
However, we had a major equipment failure so we did not resume treatments until the Wednesday before TG. We all had 2 treatments on that Wednesday (am and pm), off on Thursday for TG, followed by treatments Friday and Saturday.
There was a lot of discussion in the waiting room on Wednesday when we resumed treatments. Many men were worried that the 5 day delay was detrimental to our treatment. Some had discussed it with their RO's and the opinions were varied. Some RO's thought it problematic; others not so much, however the decision had been made that if the equipment had not been fixed by that Wednesday, we were all going to be treated with IMRT rather than wait any longer.
My RO did not believe it made any difference. My impression was that none of them really knew with certainty what the effect might be. It's always been in the back of my mind that it might just be a factor between success and failure.
Age 69 DX 06/14 1 of 24 cores positive, 5% involved, (3+4), psa 6.2
2nd opinion from JH (3+3)
3rd opinion from UFPTI (3+4)
mpMRI Duke: 50% chance of SV spread
SV fusion biopsy Duke 10/2014 negative
proton at UFPTI 11/14-01/15
Post Edited (hrpufnstuf) : 11/22/2018 7:11:13 AM (GMT-7)