Granted this is pretty off-topic, but my older boy's birthday is this Saturday, we'll give him a modest party complete with candle-blowing, and the subject was on my mind.
So I googled the topic, as to whether, or to what extent, birthday cake candle-blowing spreads enough germs to make us sick.
The consensus I found among articles, such as the one below, was that, yes, such candle-blowing does transmit germs from blower's mouth to cake icing, but that the vast majority of such germs are harmless.
From the article:"Researchers behind a widely-shared study say you would probably have to blow out hundreds of thousands of candles before getting sick."
and"If you did this 100,000 times (blowing out candles), then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal.”
Something else occurred to me. I didn't find this mentioned in any of the articles I looked at, but I actually wondered when thinking about
this whether when the airborne germs hit the candle flames, a lot of them would get burned up instantly just before the flames go out. Seems like a reasonable possibility.
Anyway, it would seem that unless the birthday person is sniffling and sneezing with a cold, in which case there would be no party anyway, then this isn't something we need to worry about
Chronic prostatitis (age 60 on)
BPH w/ urinary obstruction, 6/2011
Ongoing high PSA, 7/2011-12/2011
Biopsy, 12/2011: positive 3/12 (90%, 70%, 5%)
Gleason 6(3+3), T1c
No mets, PCa likely still organ contained
IMRT w/ HT (Lupron), 4/2012-6/2012
PSAs (since post-IMRT): 0.1 or lower