Jason - Went through the same exact experience last year. Same thing with RO referral also. Long story below might give you some ideas. Just start knocking down the visits now in my opinion.
Asked to see the senior urologist that was recommended by GP and other medical friends we contacted (started practice 1989, thousands of RALP procedures, good reputation). The scheduler laughed and said at least three months out. So I took the next best choice, a younger urologist (started practice in 2012) who was three weeks out which seemed bad enough. Met with him, told him that senior doctor was my first choice, had positive DRE, decided on MRI first to be followed biopsy. MRI was positive so went ahead with biopsy which was positive also.
Wife and I met doctor after bad news, discussed options and asked for recommendations for second opinion. Since he knew I was interested in senior doctor, he asked if I would be interested in him for second opinion if he could arrange it. My wife and I agreed and he was able to get it scheduled in 2+ weeks. Wife and I met with him, had the obligatory DRE handshake, and the long meeting was very good. Much more polished than the younger doctor but same bad news in nicer terms. My wife liked both doctors for different reasons but left it up to me. RO was similar and I took the younger RO also to avoid another three month wait from that point and he was very good.
Punch line - Two doctors do the RALP procedure the way their practice is setup and I had both of them do my surgery; one runs the machine, the other tends to the patient. Saw the older doctor next morning after surgery and he said surgery went well, etc, etc. Followups were with younger doctor as he was my principal doctor. I always had the choice to go with either one after I met both of them so maybe keep both appointments or see if the first doctor can help you with that.
Thanks for sharing your experience in detail. Hopefully most doctors wouldn't be offended by their patients wanting a second opinion. If for any reason I'm not happy with the younger doctor, I can schedule with the older one and just wait or even find a different practice. At least this way I get the process started quickly.